Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. John's Law School  (Read 1380 times)

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
St. John's Law School
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:07:46 PM »
Hello all, I was wondering what everyone thought about St. John's University School of Law in New York. Is it a good school? Is it a good enviroment for minority students? What type of job opportunities would a student have upon graduation? Thanks for your help.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: St. John's Law School
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:53:05 PM »
You have to go there yourself. Whats good for one person may not be good for you. Do a little research. Do a little walking around the area. Find a fly black honey at the law school to answer your questions. Kill two birds with one stone. Some of these Greg Anthony posters may (unintentionally) give you false information anyway.

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:35:05 PM »
You have to go there yourself. Whats good for one person may not be good for you. Do a little research. Do a little walking around the area. Find a fly black honey at the law school to answer your questions. Kill two birds with one stone. Some of these Greg Anthony posters may (unintentionally) give you false information anyway.

\

Yeah I definately know I would have to go their myself before I accepted an offer of admission. I just wanted to know what people thought about the schools reputation. If I asked someone who attended the school how they felt about the school. I am not so sure that I would get a honest answer.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:36:11 PM »
Great law school.  St. John's won the Northeast Mock Trial competition this year. They were def. on top of their game.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »
Great law school.  St. John's won the Northeast Mock Trial competition this year. They were def. on top of their game.

What about job prospects if you graduate from this law school?

intent06

• Sr. Citizen
  • "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:36:16 PM »
Zachary...check out this website for an answer to your job prospect questions.

www.nalpdirectory.com
Damn...it's the third year already!!

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 05:49:41 AM »

www.nalpdirectory.com

Thanks for your thoughtful advice Intent06. However, I find nalpdirectory.com to be somewhat inaccurate when it comes to employment information. For example, it tells you how many firms come interview, but it does not tell you how many hire. Interviewing is one thing, but hiring is another. I think Howard University School of Law is a excellent example. Many firms interview at Howard, however, very few actually hire. I just wanted some "unoffcial" information about St. John's. Judging from the lack of responses to my post, I have come to the conclusion that few know about the school.

crazy8

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

www.nalpdirectory.com

Thanks for your thoughtful advice Intent06. However, I find nalpdirectory.com to be somewhat inaccurate when it comes to employment information. For example, it tells you how many firms come interview, but it does not tell you how many hire. Interviewing is one thing, but hiring is another. I think Howard University School of Law is a excellent example. Many firms interview at Howard, however, very few actually hire. I just wanted some "unoffcial" information about St. John's. Judging from the lack of responses to my post, I have come to the conclusion that few know about the school.

It is a good school.  When it comes to job opportunities, it is similar to Brooklyn and Cardozo.  You pretty much have to stay on top of your game to be at the top of your class to have the option at the best jobs.  Of course, I'm assuming you plan on staying in the NY area (didn't read all of the threads).  St. John's law isn't well known outside of that area.  Of course, if your in the top of your class then it will allow you more options. 

Also, I'm not sure what kind of job you want after law school.  But if they're giving you some decent money, and your other options aren't T14, and you want to stay in the NY area, I would jump on it.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 01:15:47 PM »

www.nalpdirectory.com

Is that so? Interesting . . .

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 01:47:53 AM »

www.nalpdirectory.com

Oh I wouldn't go that far, son.  St. John's does its thang.  And correction on the Howard interview/hire thing, many firms in NY both interview and hire from Howard. When they want black folk, they know where to go.  But back to St. John's, I think MD broke it down best so I'll just say co-sign.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston