Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decisions pre-Internet??  (Read 617 times)

julieanne

• View Profile
Decisions pre-Internet??
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »
As I sit here obsessing over my decision - school website gazing, perusing discussions here, booking flights on travelocity, etc. - I had a thought:  how in the WORLD did people make informed decisions about schools before the information floodgates opened via the world wide web?  Must have been some pretty thick "pamphlets" floating around...

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

brooklyn

• View Profile
Re: Decisions pre-Internet??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 04:01:56 PM »
edited:  not so different, just different media.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 04:31:09 PM »
that post just made my day!
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

Capt. Nick

• The pain is great.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 05:58:24 PM »
I also selected my undergrad pre-internet.  On a recent trip to my parent's house I discovered the MASSIVE box of all the crap that I had to go through to decide on a school.  I remember having to call to get answers to questions and having to have my applications typed.  I remember getting a postcard a few weeks before classes started informing me of my school's brand new website!  When I looked it up it was only the name of the school and a campus map.  It does seem so strange now that if I cannot find every drop of info about a school on it's webpage my interest level drops a bit.
In: Widener, Pace, Drexel, U Balt., Southwestern, Quinnipiac
Out: U MD, DePaul, Loyola-Chicago & LA, Temple, American, Seton Hall, Chicago, Pepperdine, RU-Camden, Chicago-Kent
Waitlist: Catholic, Hofstra, Chapman
To go: 3 + 1
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=CaptNick

check01

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:27:57 PM »
I'm old enough to be in the post-word processor but pre-email days, and I've always wondered how people ever wrote papers without word processors.  I understand it had something to do with "outlining" and "drafts" and other such archaic nonsense.

However, as an older person, I can personally attest that in the pre-web days there were certain circumstances under which, as an undergraduate, visiting the library was mandatory.  Now it seems as weird a pooping in an outhouse.

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 09:33:31 PM »
I sucked at choosing my undergrad...Seriously...I made the mistake of choosing based on a field rather then a reputation. Then I changed fields! Damnit.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 09:53:06 PM »
I sucked at choosing my undergrad...Seriously...I made the mistake of choosing based on a field rather then a reputation. Then I changed fields! Damnit.

This is a very good point to keep in mind even for LS.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »
Ha! I applied to undergrad pre-WWW (we had internet accesss my freshman year). Let's see, I read (okay not really) I flipped through some guidebooks, brochures, etc. I, um, visited some schools and then I just applied to a bunch of really random places from UNC to Cornell to Wesleyan. I really wanted to go to Yale, but they dinged me. Cornell was the last place I visited, I knew a bunch of people there already, I really wasn't feeling UVA or UNC (where the admission lady asked what sport I played. I was like, "Um, debate team?").

What I do remember because it was pre-interent. I had to type the application ON A TYPEWRITER. My family hadn't owned a typewriter since 1980 at least. So we had to go to the store to buy one. It was awful. Thankfully I was able to write my essays on computer.

This time around I read a bunch of guidebooks, flipped through a lot of brochures, surfed the internet (boy was it a bad idea to check out XOXO) and then applied to a bunch of random places (mostly thanks for the god of the fee waiver). It's probably the reason I applied to Northwestern over say Duke and Michigan over UVA (I can be bought, which is really not surprising since I'm applying to law school. That's sort of implicit at this point, right?). So the main difference - way too much information. I didn't really realize there were just so many fine gradations of ranking from HYS to CCN to MVP. I'm not so sure I'm glad I know now.

I work for a newspaper I have no clue how they would have put out a paper everyday without computers. Some of the older folks mention this magic thing called carbon paper but I haven't a clue what they're talking about.
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:08:35 PM »
These brave souls did it:

quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future