Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Macintosh  (Read 7198 times)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »
My fiance has a 15" PowerBook and it's pretty sweet.  She tried convincing me to just use hers, but I want one of my own.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 04:04:25 PM »
I agree that the MacBook pro is a gorgeous machine. I really, really want to jump into the Mac pool, but here's what's stopping me, in order of importance:

1.) The MacBook pro is a first generation device and such devices are bound to have wrinkles that need ironing out. From what I've read the MacBook is no exception

2.) A dual-boot system kind of worries me, especially since Mac won't be supporting Windows.

3.) I can't think of any functional benefit of the MacBook except for that really cool magnetic plug and the available 7200 RPM drives.

The bottom line is that law school is going to be stressful enough without a cutting edge first generation dual-boot laptop.
Excuse me if I'm proselytizing.

LSD saved my life.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 04:31:36 PM »
I am a 1L using a MacBook Pro, and all of you 0Ls worry too much. :)
USD 2L

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »

This is true :) Nothing much else to keep us busy.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 06:01:06 PM »

especially now that you've got boot camp!  how super-sweet is that?!?!
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 06:14:16 PM »
I'm DEF getting a MacPro, but I am waiting untill thelastmin to buy it because Macs always have problems the first go-round. LOTS of them.  Don't get me wrong I love Macs to DEATH, I will never be caught buying a PC.  But my mom had both the first gen imac and ibook and they both sucked.  The upgrades that took place within the first year alone really blew me.  I recommend waiting until mid august to buy if you can. 

Also does anybody know the running prices for the MacPros WITH an edu discount or from the bookstores?
There's no homework in Law School

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »
I'm DEF getting a MacPro, but I am waiting untill thelastmin to buy it because Macs always have problems the first go-round. LOTS of them.  Don't get me wrong I love Macs to DEATH, I will never be caught buying a PC.  But my mom had both the first gen imac and ibook and they both sucked.  The upgrades that took place within the first year alone really blew me.  I recommend waiting until mid august to buy if you can. 

Also does anybody know the running prices for the MacPros WITH an edu discount or from the bookstores?

I think the MacBook Pro starts at $1799 with the edu discount.

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2006, 04:58:46 AM »
lvp --its only on like 2 models of macs thus far with intel chips. many people have their macs already, like me, and will not shell out to buy one with an intel chip. besides i plan to never run windows again in my life. i think i'd throw my mac across the room if window's blue screen of death ever appeared. i hatehatehate that thing and its been popping up on a lot of the computers that are running bootcamp. besides, i could just run virtual PC if i wanted to run a windows app.

and in case you didnt get the full story--apple will not support windows, so you're pretty much screwed if it gets screwed up.

oh god... the blue screen of death!  my PC laptop that I had before my ibook met this fate (a few times, after it got new hard drives) and it basically made me never want to deal with a PC ever again.  I love my ibook  :)
i like complicated :)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 10:07:52 AM »
lvp --its only on like 2 models of macs thus far with intel chips. many people have their macs already, like me, and will not shell out to buy one with an intel chip. besides i plan to never run windows again in my life. i think i'd throw my mac across the room if window's blue screen of death ever appeared. i hatehatehate that thing and its been popping up on a lot of the computers that are running bootcamp. besides, i could just run virtual PC if i wanted to run a windows app.

and in case you didnt get the full story--apple will not support windows, so you're pretty much screwed if it gets screwed up.

oh god... the blue screen of death!  my PC laptop that I had before my ibook met this fate (a few times, after it got new hard drives) and it basically made me never want to deal with a PC ever again.  I love my ibook  :)

but you've gotta admit, being able to run windows on your mac solves any problem we've ever talked about relating to examsoft only running on windows.  you can run windows for a few hours every few months for that one program without having to worry about borrowing someone else's pc.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 10:13:58 AM »
I adore my 12" iBook and am psyched that I'll be able to use it for law school.  It's so portable, and I don't mind the small screen at all.