Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Macintosh  (Read 7027 times)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 04:49:03 PM »
I have to say, the 12' iBooks are really small and elegant looking. I was admiring a coworkers the other week. The 12' Macbook pro should be the ticket for many folks, including myself if I hadn't already settled on a PC tablet.

Oingo.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 05:38:33 PM »
the macbook pro is so beautiful.

i'm a pc user and i HATE HATE my dell, and i've been wanting to make the switch to mac.  i'm hoping that wherever i end up will support it (i've heard rumors that examsoft is coming out with a mac version), but if i've gotta get a pc i might go for a vaio.

anyway, i'll shed a tear if you have to get rid of your powerbook.  :'(
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 01:49:21 PM »
I have an iBook and would love to keep it.  I emailed the IT dept at one of the law schools I'm considering and this is what he said:

"Hi Dizn,

While ExamSoft does not currently support Macs, we are looking into alternative software and hope to offer computerized exams to Mac users by the Fall semester. I will keep you updated on our progress.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance."
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »
I've heard that at Georgetown you write out your exams in MS Word and then just burn it onto a CD and turn the CD in.  And in the technology section of their website they spell out system requirements for personal notebooks and they include both PC and Mac.  GULC's website even has direct links to the online Apple Store.  So it would seem that using a Mac at GULC wouldn't be a problem.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »
FYI, this is an email I just got:

Hi Dizn,

I just wanted to let you know that we will be switching to Secure Exam next year which is Mac compatible. You will be able to use your Mac to take exams.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
CB
Exam & Grading Coordinator

===========================================

I'm sure other schools will follow suit
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 03:06:33 PM »
For more info and specs on the software:

http://www.softwaresecure.com/faq.htm

Dizn
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 03:17:48 PM »
Apple just announced the new "Boot Camp" software the other day that lets you run Windows on a Mac.  I would imagine this should let you run any Windows software, right?  So if a school needed students to be Windows-compatible, instead of requiring a PC, they could just require a PC or a Mac with Boot Camp, right?  Seems like a win-win (no pun intended).  The downside is that Mac users would have to shell out for Boot Camp and for Windows, but if they didn't want to spend extra money, they shouldn't have bought a Mac in the first place, right?  ;)
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 03:28:28 PM »
One more note:

Boot camp is a free software download, so the only software you'd need to pay for is the Windows OS.

And yes, I guess I'm speaking more to the people who don't have the core-duo macs, which, while hot, are out of my price range for now  ::)
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 03:32:38 PM »
bumpizzle
Boalt 1L

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 03:41:59 PM »
ALso, Boot Camp will be available as part their next OS "Leopard" due out later this year.

I think I'll be buying a 15.4" MacBook Pro for law school.  They're just too d*mn sexy to resist.  It seems compatibility issues are no longer a viable excuse to stick with a PC.
My only conern is the size of the MBP - 5.5+ pounds and the dimensions are a little big.  And who knows when they will release a smaller versiou of this machine.  I've heard they're coming out with a smaller (12 or 13") Intel based iMac this summer - that might be a possiblity too.  I'll wait to buy a computer until this summer some time.

Attending GULC in Fall '06