Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school related post -- please respond  (Read 1696 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Re: law school related post -- please respond
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 12:21:40 AM »
But to clarify, if your school offers A+'s, (4.33) then you still have an advantage over a school that does not use A+'s?  My ugrad used +'s but never for A's.  An A was as high as you get.  So those who get A+'s have an unfair advantage, and I really think thst should be addressed if they are going to look at grade inflation, which you really cannot quantify with any sense of accuracy. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

dta

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 11:01:41 AM »
None of the changes the LSAC makes to your grade is with respect to addressing grade inflation. If your school has grade inflation, then your LSAC grad will also be inflated. They only normalize grades according to several objective criterion (e.g. if your school is on a 5.0 grade scale they normalize your grades to a 4.0 scale).

rainmkr07

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Rainmkr07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 11:19:30 AM »
LSAC sucks.  At my school, if you retake a course, the new grade replaces the old (they take the average by counting both grades).

And "L's" are F's that the Dean has "wiped away" so they are listed but don't count againt your GPA.

That said, my Maine GPA was higher than on LSAC, and there is nothing anyone could do about it.  I just tried to speak briefly about it in an addendum in my applications.

dta

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 11:37:06 AM »
LSAC sucks.  At my school, if you retake a course, the new grade replaces the old (they take the average by counting both grades).

And "L's" are F's that the Dean has "wiped away" so they are listed but don't count againt your GPA.

That said, my Maine GPA was higher than on LSAC, and there is nothing anyone could do about it.  I just tried to speak briefly about it in an addendum in my applications.

Why is the LSAC bad for lowering your score? They have to provide a way for law school adcoms to compare the grades of its applicants. If you had given the same performance at, say, UT then when you retake a class it wouldn't 'wipe out' the old grade, it would just get averaged in to your GPA. Why should you get a boost that others do not?

Most schools average scores for classes taken multiple times. So, the LSAC normalizes other schools to this standard. That way, your GPA and my GPA can be compared on a more equal footing.

No - the LSAC can't do anything about the vague problem of grade inflaction - there are no objective measures by which to correct it. But the LSAC can correct some clearly objective discrepancies, like in your case.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 12:47:58 AM »

Why is the LSAC bad for lowering your score? They have to provide a way for law school adcoms to compare the grades of its applicants. If you had given the same performance at, say, UT then when you retake a class it wouldn't 'wipe out' the old grade, it would just get averaged in to your GPA. Why should you get a boost that others do not?

Most schools average scores for classes taken multiple times. So, the LSAC normalizes other schools to this standard. That way, your GPA and my GPA can be compared on a more equal footing.

No - the LSAC can't do anything about the vague problem of grade inflaction - there are no objective measures by which to correct it. But the LSAC can correct some clearly objective discrepancies, like in your case.

Schrub, you haven't addressed the A+ issue.  LSAC CAN do something about this.  Simply count all A+'s as A's =>4.0

Rainmkr:  How did you get the Dean to wipe out some of your grades (L's and F's)?  I know that it still counts according to LSAC, but I tried to get 3 F's taken off from 20 years ago, and I had to formally petition to the department head.  I was denied all three times, my dad had died, and I had to take over his business and couldn't/didn't drop in time. 
I had to send everything, Death certificate, why I never needed the class to begin with, etc.  Did you go through the Dean because that was your only option, or did you go to the department heads first?  I would like these grades off my record even if LSAC counts them, because I may not finish law school (this happens a lot to people) and decide to get an MBA or somethng.  How did you get them wiped out? 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

newy

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 12:46:10 PM »
1) My transcripts finally got processed on Friday.  I was rudely awakened when I saw that I had failed a 2 unit Ski Racing Clinic that I took at community college back in 10th grade.  How disappointing that this has to bring down my UGPA!  Will the individual schools get an opportunity to see what course I failed back in 1998?

2) On my report, there is a Degree GPA and a Cumulative GPA.  Which GPA do they look at?

lexylit

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 07:13:24 PM »
i talked to a prof at stanford law last week and he said, what percentile is your ugpa for your school compared to the other kids who went on to lawschool?

i was like errr i don't know off the top of my head

and he said, well that's what we look at.

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 07:15:39 PM »
To put it simply LSAC standardizes the interpretation of grades, since there is a wide diversity of methods among schools.

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 07:36:39 PM »
Based upon all this dialogue it is safe for me to conclude that I am screwed for f-ing off my first few semesters. Cooley here I come.