Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me understand the admissions process  (Read 1198 times)

fulltimejob

• View Profile
Help me understand the admissions process
« on: July 29, 2004, 08:23:03 PM »
My GPA is around 75 percentile with the 3 schools I would be applying. In addition I have the following differences from a traditional student:

1. I would be considered an international student as my degrees are in a foreign country

2. I would fall under Ethnic diversity because of the same reason that I am a foreigner in this country, although am working here for the past 5 yrs

3. I would be applying to PT programs only, as I have a full time job.

4. As mentioned earlier in a different post, I have extensive academic research and industrial research background.

5. presently working on Intellec prop toward cancer research, so going to law school is a natural path

How much do you think these might offset a bad LSAT score? The schools are Santa clara univ, Univ. san Francisco and Golden gate. GGU is my last choice of course. Does anyone know if the admissions committee really look at people like us any differently and make exceptions? My current boss is too excited and happy that I chose to go to law school (good mentor  :)) and would give a good LOR. I guess I am a bit freaked out as my cold tests were around 145 :-\ . And just incase after studying till end of sept, I don't improve my score. there's just too many formulae and indices in the web that confuses me to no end.

thanks for your inputs.

ProSeBeatzU

• AOL Instant Messenger - ProSeBeatsU
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help me understand the admissions process
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 09:50:34 PM »
As always, this is just one opinion to consider.

Your foreign academic work will be equated through a process with which I am not entirely familiar. But it will be equated.

AdCom's will give the most weight to recent indicators of potential LS success. I believe you should frame your writings, patents, etc. in an academically analagous manner in your PS. If you have been away from school for awhile, irrespective of your impressive work history, you should make every effort to improve your LSAT score. This is critical.

I believe you will be best served by making every effort to raise your LSAT score. A bottom 20% score will be a difficult obstacle to overcome in gaining admission to any law school.

PSBU
"I've always told you some version of the truth."

Nicholson "Something's Gotta Give"

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:46:11 PM »
Full time,

After reading several of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that you are stressing way too much.  Here's my .02 for what it's worth:

1) You're background blows away 'traditional students' - come on - PhD in Chem, patents, papers, etc. and you're worried???

2) I think you're nuts for thinking about the patent bar right now.  Personally, I think you should focus on the October LSAT.

3)  By all means you should mention your advanced degree in your personal statement, along with patents, papers, etc.  My opinion is the PS is your 3 minutes to convince the Admin Office that you belong in LS, that you can handle the load, that you will bring diversity to the student body, yada yada yada.  Show you're a leader in your current field to convince them you'll be a leader in law.

4) Three LSAT tests ain't squat - don't judge your score just yet.  You've got plenty of time before October.  Since I'm so full of it (advice that is) here's more:

A) Buy more real LSAT from LSAC - get the more recent ones as they will trend more towards what you'll see in Oct.  IMHO, you should only look at real questions.

B) Work as many sections as you can timed - if you can't spend 2 hours every night, try to work a section a night - that's 35-45 mintues.  String a couple together on the weekend.

C) If it makes you feel better, enroll in a course - personally I didn't - but a lot of people do benefit from them.  Also, check out a couple books from the library or splurge and actually buy one from Amazon - read the reviews first and you'll get a good idea which one will be for you.

D) Did I mention taking as many tests as you can?  Work a couple untimed, you should be able to hit pretty high w/o a problem.  Then start timing and get yourself used to the pace, time is the killer, not the question difficulty.

E) Practice, practice, practice, then take time off and ignore anything to do with the LSAT.  Come back after a few days and hit it again.

F) Practice with the TV on, the kids around, the dogs barking, phone ringing, etc.  Come test day you'll be able to concentrate without a problem.

I think you're just out of practice and need to get used to the critical thinking under time pressure.  I mean you're not an idoit who scrapped by with a BS in Basketweaving, so you know you're smart enough to pull a decent LSAT - have a beer man and unwind a bit.

Again, put the Patent Bar on hold if you can - it's too much.  A good LSAT will do more for you law school admission than the PB.

Good Luck,

Desmo

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 01:32:28 PM »
You might want to find a copy of Law School Confidential.  There's a lengthy discussion, including an interview with the Dean of Admissions at Cornell, about the process and what they look for.  I imagine the process at most school's is pretty much in line with Cornell's.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 01:34:28 PM »
Montauk's book, how to get into a top law school, is also very informative about the entire admissions process.  Even if you don't want to go to a "top" school, it will help you regardless.