Law School Discussion

Has plagiarism ruined my life, my chances, my future ?!?!

Kobe

Has plagiarism ruined my life, my chances, my future ?!?!
« on: March 09, 2006, 02:29:19 PM »
Was the day I was charged with academic misconduct when a friend gave me his calculations for a math assignment the day I forfeited any possiblity of attending law school ??

My law school advisor told me it was no biggie, I wrote an addendum, my dean wrote a letter explaining the situation for me and the law school applications say it does not make you an auto-reject, but I'm receiving rejections left and right !!!!!!!!!

Would I have been better off not disclosing at all ???  :-\

Re: Has plagiarism ruined my life, my chances, my future ?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 02:45:33 PM »
Was the day I was charged with academic misconduct when a friend gave me his calculations for a math assignment the day I forfeited any possiblity of attending law school ??

My law school advisor told me it was no biggie, I wrote an addendum, my dean wrote a letter explaining the situation for me and the law school applications say it does not make you an auto-reject, but I'm receiving rejections left and right !!!!!!!!!

Would I have been better off not disclosing at all ???  :-\

What are your numbers?

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 02:47:39 PM »
No offense, but you could be getting rejects for othe reasons. How well do you trust your recommenders, what are your numbers, etc.? It sucks that a stupid choice puts a blemish on your record, but I think it would have to be more than that if your numbers are in the schools range and such.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 02:48:19 PM »
I don't think the plagarism he described would keep him from taking the bar would it?

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 02:50:23 PM »
Some schools put any sort of academic probation, suspension or failing grades due to honor violations on the transcript.

So if you get in, don't disclose and they found out anyway -- you are in big, big trouble AND wasting tuition money.

Kobe

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »
My numbers are pretty low: 158, 3.5, URM. I'm guessing a border line applicant with a charge is a no go. But everyone has been telling me it doesn't mean an auto-ding.

I've applied to schools that are in my range. But would anyone have any advice as to schools I should apply to that may be willing to accept me with these numbers ?

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
Hey Kobe,
It would be helpful if you could tell us what schools you have applied to and what schools you have gotten dinged from, etc.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 02:55:49 PM »
My numbers are pretty low: 158, 3.5, URM. I'm guessing a border line applicant with a charge is a no go. But everyone has been telling me it doesn't mean an auto-ding.

I've applied to schools that are in my range. But would anyone have any advice as to schools I should apply to that may be willing to accept me with these numbers ?

Have you  tried Michigan State? Their app deadline is 04/15.

Franklin Pierce Law Center 04/01
Howard University 03/31
Southwestern University School of Law 06/30

RockyMarciano

• Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »
This is an ackward outcome. You have decent numbers and unless you are applying to only T20 schools you should not be receiving rejections left and right. Can you name a school or two that you were rejected from?

snikrep

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 12:06:16 AM »
You got an official academic mark against you for copying some math homework problems?  Not smart, but that's still a pretty harsh punishment, or was it some big assignment like a take-home midterm?