Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Visit  (Read 11615 times)

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse Visit
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »
Alright, I'm sure few people care, but I just wanted to note that I've finally decided to go to another school over Syracuse. Thanks Chonralda for your assistance regarding my choice next year. I hope you enjoy UConn and that the those folks who are Syracuse bound enjoy their time at law school. *Sniff* Goodbye, Syracuse  :'(
Villanova Law School Class of '09

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
You made the correct/credited decision, for your specific circumstances. Best of luck!
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2006, 09:48:27 PM »
I just got back from my Syracuse apartment hunt, and I will be going with Nob Hill. I had made appointments to see four different places, but we went to Nob Hill first and loved it. We also toured some apartments with a couple who turned out to be parents of another future 1L, and they said they had been to the admitted students thing on Friday and heard only good things about Nob Hill. So that was reassuring.

After looking at a one bedroom and a two bedroom, my mother and I drove to Rugby Square where I was immediately turned off by the neighborhood. Same thing with Grant Village, although not so much. I basically hate cities, and at Nob Hill I can kind of pretend that I'm not in a city - it's not secluded, but it is up on a hill and there's lots of grass and trees. And the commute will be really easy, just jump on the highway and go up a few exits. Rugby Square would involve a commute down Teall, which I think would suck with all of the traffic lights. I'd much rather take the highway. Anyway, after driving by Rugby Square and Grant Village my mother and I went back to Nob Hill and put a deposit down on a two bedroom for July 1st. The two bedroom is $714 including heat and hot water, and the place is really nice, so I'm psyched. They have a pool, a fitness center, and gas grills that you can use. Not sure I'd really use all that, but it's nice to know that it's there.

The two bedroom I'm getting is a decent size, and it has one and a half baths. They had a different style two bedroom with a balcony and an additional air conditioner in the master bedroom, but that was more expensive (I think $739?) and the rooms where smaller, so I didn't go with that one. The kitchen is small, but it has a garbage disposal and a dishwasher, so that's all I care about. The windows are a nice size, and there is an air conditioner in the living room. I'm really excited to move in and get some more furniture (my first real sofa, no more futon!).

I don't know anything about Skyline or Nettleton Commons, but I loved Nob Hill. They are taking deposits for apartments way in advance - the leasing lady said that before we came in she had leased a place to another student for mid-August. If you're not sure about Skyline or Nettleton Commons, check out Nob Hill.

http://nobhillsyracuse.com/

laur4447

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2006, 10:48:23 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the info.  I went to that site with the reviews and skyline really doesn't sound like its in a good area at all.  It's good that I am finding this out now... but now I'm going back to square one and I'll have to travel back up there again...kind of frustrating...

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2006, 09:19:53 AM »
I can agree - I'm having a heck of a time finding places in Hartford - websites, even when companies have good ones, can be very, very misleading. Esp. in places like SYR, where some areas are very, very shady. I think I've found my gem in hartford, but i dont know for sure yet. http://www.clemensplace.com/ I leave for another apt. search, this time for real, in hartford in about a week and a half.

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2006, 01:26:36 PM »
I think I've found my gem in hartford, but i dont know for sure yet.

Good luck with the apartment search. The west end of the city is the best part, as far as I know. I think the north end is the worst. I drove through there and walked around with a friend to take pictures for her photography class, and as soon as we got out of the car people were hassling us. I think Hartford is on the list of the most dangerous cities in the US, so I'd definitely research where you're going to live. But the same goes for any city I guess.

but now I'm going back to square one and I'll have to travel back up there again...kind of frustrating...

That sucks, but at least you won't end up renting in an area that wouldn't be so safe. How far is it from where you live to Syracuse?

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2006, 05:44:04 PM »
I dont live in SYR - I live in MI. Hartford is actually pretty ok looking...I mean, downtown is nice and it seemed a lot better than downtown SYR. E. Hartford, on other side of river, is very very shaddy - but it IS on the other side of the river, so far away from me. Between downtown and w. hartford is where the LS is, and its in a safe area and my apts of choice are right there. Now, heading towards downtown there is like a 2-3 block area that is not so nice, but seems to be getting better from what people say....

I'll try and stick close to the LS for 1l, and then maybe move further away when i'm more familiar with the place...

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »
I dont live in SYR - I live in MI.

Oops, that was for Laur4447. Sorry. :)

Hartford is actually pretty ok looking...I mean, downtown is nice and it seemed a lot better than downtown SYR.

Downtown may look nice, but honestly Hartford is not a place that I'd ever want to live. It's #24 on the 2005 list of most dangerous cities. Syracuse wasn't in the top 25. UCONN, being so near the West Hartford town line, is in a better part of Hartford, but it can get bad really quickly.

East Hartford is a dump, but it's definitely safer than Hartford. The towns get better as you get farther away. And west of the Connecticut River is known to be nicer (and more expensive) than east of the river.

I'm sure that you'll be fine over by UCONN, and I may tend to be more cautious because I'm female. I don't mean to sound all negative. Hartford definitely has its good points, like being the state capital and having a lot of high paying firms. And I love central CT (I miss it!!), it's a great place to live. Traffic to and through Hartford can kind of suck, which is something to consider if you ever decide to live farther away from UCONN. But I commuted from Vernon (where I grew up) through Hartford to UCONN's West Hartford campus and then to Central Connecticut State University for undergrad, and it never really bothered me. OK, can you tell that I would rather be in CT than western Mass?!?

Good luck with the apartment search chonralda, and if you have any questions about CT I'd be happy to try and answer them. :)

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2006, 11:00:19 PM »
I'll be seeing up close and personal what I think of the area. I'm a big guy, and ive never had problems with dark streets etc...I'm also not foolish, so i dont get into trouble like a lot of college kids do even in ann arbor. E. Hartford, on other side of river, looked very, very bad to me...Downtown looked safe and nice, and like i said, except for that area between downtown and the law campus, asylum and farmington looked fine...around the LS looked excellent, but it was a dreary day and i was too worried over being late to really 'look'. that will be for next trip!

laur4447

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2006, 11:54:18 PM »
I am about 5 hours from syracuse; I live in New Jersey.  Last time my father and I went up to go apartment hunting, we left the house at 4am, and came back the same day b/c we had to go to work the next day; definitely not a smart idea!  Anyway, I sent in an application for housing at slocum heights; it will probably be easier for me, rather than having to deal with buying furniture, getting it up there and worrying about the area; atleast for the first year.  Hopefully they will have something available; if not...I'll be taking another trip up there at some point! 
--chonralda-- when you went to admitted students day and stayed over, syracuse paid for the room right? What did you do for them to credit your acount? I payed for it on my credit card and was told by the hotel to give the receipt to syracuse...so I ended up mailing it to them and my account still has not been credited.  They did say they would pay for overnight accomodations right??
   and Laxslice? I have an extra one of those window stickers if you want it.