Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Visit  (Read 11898 times)

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse Visit
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2006, 02:38:20 PM »
What DID you think of Villanova? I loved SYR, the students and school i mean, but the city left me kinda cool--its nice campus and all, but it is kinda the land that progress left behind in some regards...
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2006, 03:31:45 PM »
What DID you think of Villanova? I loved SYR, the students and school i mean, but the city left me kinda cool--its nice campus and all, but it is kinda the land that progress left behind in some regards...

I didn't drive around the area too much, which I now regret (I just pretty much came off the expressway and got right back on after the ASD). The neighborhood seemed nice, but I wasn't exactly blown away. I was kind of expecting more the area surrounding AU Law (but with a less attractive building).

The school itself is a pretty ugly building, in the center of an unattractive parking lot, which seems pushed to the edge of Villanova University. The interior, as others have described looks a lot like a high school. In fact, it really reminded me of my old high school, except that my high school didn't cost me about $30k a year. I did think the library was pretty nice.

Outside of the aesthestic appearance of the school, the presentation was pretty good but not great. The students seemed a little preppy (not surpringly for a big bucks law school) but pleasant. I thought the professor was pretty engaging, and I was really impressed by the career services officer. The dean and the financial aid officer also both seemed to really care about their jobs and the school.

In general, I didn't leave with the opinion that being at this school would be intolerable, but I wasn't enthralled by it either. I think it'll offer me more post graduate and external opportunities (externships, summer work, etc.) than Syracuse would. I just don't know if that is worth the extra debt.
Villanova Law School Class of '09

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »
What does that extra debt amount to? More than 30k?

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2006, 04:36:54 PM »
I'd say just over $30k though I may need to take out more the last year (depending on my summer employment) to cover additional living expenses for Nova.

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2006, 05:03:59 PM »
What are living expenses for the area? When it came down to deciding between 'cuse and uconn there were a few factors, as i noted the city itself, but also my reasons for SYR. I applied there based on maxwell, which i came to realize was a big if - a lot of students i talked to said they want to SYR wanting to get into that uber exclusive program and did not, and regretted being at SYR - others got it, but could not handle a 3yr dual degree program when most are 4 yrs - plus the loss of summers for career/connections blding is huge....i decided to go to the best LS i could, pay the extra few thousand, and hope that someday later i can do a Masters, if it really ends up being necessary...you cant go wrong by going to the better (in quotes) LS and then doing a masters later, as my dad noted....

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
Laur4447, did you go apartment hunting yet? I am going this weekend and I was wondering (if you went) what places you liked.

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2006, 09:31:16 PM »
What are living expenses for the area? When it came down to deciding between 'cuse and uconn there were a few factors, as i noted the city itself, but also my reasons for SYR. I applied there based on maxwell, which i came to realize was a big if - a lot of students i talked to said they want to SYR wanting to get into that uber exclusive program and did not, and regretted being at SYR - others got it, but could not handle a 3yr dual degree program when most are 4 yrs - plus the loss of summers for career/connections blding is huge....i decided to go to the best LS i could, pay the extra few thousand, and hope that someday later i can do a Masters, if it really ends up being necessary...you cant go wrong by going to the better (in quotes) LS and then doing a masters later, as my dad noted....

Living expenses in Villanova tend to range from about 700+ to a bit over a thousand for a studio/1 bedroom depending on where you live - Few of the apartments listed included utilities, I think. Contrast this with Syracuse where rents around the law school tend to range from about 400 to maybe 800 at the most for a comparable place.

I understand your decision especially if your decision was banking on (an uncertain acceptance to) the Maxwell school. I think I'm leaning back towards Villanova if for nothing else the access to a major market it provides both in terms of internships and a future job. Is this worth the 30k and interest difference? I'm starting to think so.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2006, 10:03:41 PM »
I would also have to say so as well...UCONN is a big fish in a little pond, because yale grads go elsewhere..if nothing else, i'll be 'stuck' in hartford for awhile, and thats not a bad place to be...a lot of SYR 3ls were looking at jobs in upstate NY, where they rule over albany (except maybe in govt jobs there) and buffalo...as for downtown NYC, you've gotta be in the very, very top of your class to get thewre...SYR is the little fish in a huge pond...STILL, i did really love SYR and it was one hell of a decision...i may even go back for a maxwell degree, but i think for LS the smaller school was also a big sell...

laur4447

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »
Laurrk--
  I went up to syracuse last week...There were two apartments that I liked.  One was skyline apartments, across the street from regency towers; it was very reasonable, really good size apartments.  Studio was spacious with enormous closet and is 475 a month all utilities included, extra fee per month to park your car in the lot.  They have 3 1 bedroom options, ranging in size, I did not see them, but I think I would opt for the first one; that is 505 a month.  The complex has a grocery store in the basement.  Then I saw an apartment in Nettleton commons, really nice building; trendy, i loved it and seems like its in a little bit of a better area.  I saw a 1 bedroom, which was cute, but a bit small; the place is unique with exposed brick walls and really nice.  The problem was, not all utilities are included and they range from 600 and up.  The woman said there is a 1 bedroom opening up for sure at the end of may, but it is 750 a month, not including all utilities; It just didn't seem worth it.  She was sure more would be opening up, but she doesn't know whether it will be a studio or 1 or 2 bedroom and all of the prices vary.  I've pretty much decided to go with Skyline; although I have heard nothing about it; it is not listed in that booklet we received from the law school.  They cannot hold apartments for more than one month...so I will probably send my deposit in, in June to start leasing in July.  But I am worried, what are other law students doing? leasing apartments starting now? or waiting to lease.  I don't want to lose an apartment.  Anyway, let me know how your hunting goes!

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2006, 04:21:20 PM »
Hey guys,

I just saw Laurrk mention that she hadn't heard anything about Skyline apartments so I just thought I'd post this site that I've been using to get reviews of the apartments around my school in Pittsburgh:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NY-Syracuse-Skyline-Apartments.html

It only has 6 reviews for Skyline so I guess you can take it with a grain of salt but I just thought the site would come in handy for other apartments you were considering.