« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 01:54:11 PM »
NA counts for *10* pts?

Re: Weight of URM
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 01:59:41 PM »
NA counts for *10* pts?

I heard up to 15.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »
no offense, but you're not going to get any boost.  there are a lot of white people who grew up poor and had to work during UG, and none of them got any boosts.  And as for Asians being URM, for the most part, no.  The exceptions are schools in states with no diversity (for example Alabama, Oklahoma, etc) and some schools also will consider Southeast Asians (Thai, Hmong, etc) URM. 

I agree. If anything, I'd leave the ethnicity boxes unchecked if I was Asian, due to the negative boosts or reverse discrimination...

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »
no offense, but you're not going to get any boost.  there are a lot of white people who grew up poor and had to work during UG, and none of them got any boosts.  And as for Asians being URM, for the most part, no.  The exceptions are schools in states with no diversity (for example Alabama, Oklahoma, etc) and some schools also will consider Southeast Asians (Thai, Hmong, etc) URM. 

umm...I wasn't thinking that I would get an additional boost compared specifically to any other racial group, because of having to work. But I thought that if you had situations where you had extra responsibilities (not just academic ones) during school, that that would count for something whether you're white, Asian, African American, whatever...

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 02:39:18 PM »

I agree. If anything, I'd leave the ethnicity boxes unchecked if I was Asian, due to the negative boosts or reverse discrimination...

Little late for that. Oh, well.

tsteadman

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:04 PM »
I am going to agree with Jammer that you won't get any boost for being Asian.  If you have an interesting story then you will get a boost from that, not your race.

Good luck with your decision...  

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:53 PM »
I am going to agree with Jammer that you won't get any boost for being Asian.  If you have an interesting story then you will get a boost from that, not your race.

Good luck with your decision... 

Thanks!

mjb

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 03:05:48 PM »
Personally I am a very fat URM if that answers your question.

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 03:07:46 PM »
Personally I am a very fat URM if that answers your question.

HAHAHAHAHA

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »