Law School Discussion

U Chicago Law

DJ Shadowolf

• DJ Shadowolf- Mixing at JHOP Studios
    • View Profile
U Chicago Law
« on: March 09, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »
What do you guys think of the admissions process at UChicago Law for blacks?

Could anybody give me some personal statement tips?

Thanks  ;)

Stencilasnusky

Re: U Chicago Law
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 11:34:54 AM »
UCLS is a very reputable school with a small sutdent body. I think they are know for turning out pretty good clerkship candidates (including SCOTUS bound clerks). Its a very demanding academic environment (as is any T-14 law school), but I think for blacks it should not be any different from other places. A male minority applicant with decent UGPA (like a 3.7 in Polsci, Econ, History and those other weakass degreees will be OK) provided you have an LSAT above 165 and good LORs and PStmt. With extensive WE and/or other degrees like Finance, Engineering and Sciences a UGPA of 3.5 is OK with an LSAT of 161-163. Just make sure you apply early and show up to their table at the LSAC forums and let them know you love them..if you do their binding ED  the better..but once in you can't go anywhere else.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »
I've found the admissions staff at the U of C to be very friendly and accessible, if not a bit hard to get ahold of immediately (becuase the committee is very very small).  Still, I found them to be friendly and candid, and if I can tell you anything more specific feel free to PM me..

As for the personal statement, my only suggestion are to focus more on how you've developed as a person (as opposed to simply stating what you've done) and don't try to do too much. You only have 2-3 pages, and the simplest statements are frequently the most powerful.  Begin by reflecting on experiences that have impacted you in some way, find a common thread, anchor your paper in concrete examples from your life, and keep the focus on your thoughts, actions, and development.

DJ Shadowolf

• DJ Shadowolf- Mixing at JHOP Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:11:09 AM »

Alicat17, Have you decided where you are going to attend?

Everyone, Are there any comments from people already at UChi LS?

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 10:24:35 AM »

Alicat17, Have you decided where you are going to attend?

Everyone, Are there any comments from people already at UChi LS?

I havent decided on any school yet, still working through the financial aid process, but I'm thinking very seriously about both chicago schools.