Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Korean Adoptee in the American South  (Read 4494 times)

Ever

Re: Korean Adoptee in the American South
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »
I think it's beyond "okay/appropriate" to mention that you're a Korean adoptee from a low-income family in Arkansas.  Very diverse background.  You should definitely write about it.  If you didn't, it would be a disservice to yourself.  All those factors have clearly made you the person you are today.  Therefore, I don't think you should limit it to your diversity statement, but include it in your personal statement (I can't imagine being able to write about yourself without including it).  You won't be admitted simply for having a unique background, but it's a big plus factor.

What s/he said. But your Personal Statement should be about who you are not what you are.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 02:43:24 AM »
I think it's beyond "okay/appropriate" to mention that you're a Korean adoptee from a low-income family in Arkansas.  Very diverse background.  You should definitely write about it.  If you didn't, it would be a disservice to yourself.  All those factors have clearly made you the person you are today.  Therefore, I don't think you should limit it to your diversity statement, but include it in your personal statement (I can't imagine being able to write about yourself without including it).  You won't be admitted simply for having a unique background, but it's a big plus factor.

What s/he said. But your Personal Statement should be about who you are not what you are.

credited, but the OP was specifically talking about the diversity statement.
Columbia 3L

Ever

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 02:50:55 AM »

credited, but the OP was specifically talking about the diversity statement.

:) Yep, but cayberr suggested making the OP's personal statement about being an adopted Korean. I think that s/he should focus their personal statement about their personality/experiences and then let their diversity statement/addendum address being an adopted Korean and the issues that come with that. It would give the adcom a wider perspective regarding the applicant rather than just one or two essays about being a specific section of the community and would allow them to further demonstrate their ability to write clearly.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:30:59 AM »
Could it really be true that East-Asians, on average, have genetically high IQ? Look at all these adoptees, especially the OP, he was adopted into a poor family in a poor state and he is probably doing better than most blacks and whites with better economic background and resources? 

Are there any East-Asian adoptees who are not going to college?

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 06:53:10 AM »
Korean guy raised by white parents in Arkansas???  YOU ARE DIVERSE.  Mention it at the least.  I would incorporate it into my PS and/or my diversity statement.  Not many people have experienced your kind of childhood/upbringing.
Princeton Law 2010

mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 04:54:25 AM »
User has been banned for spam.

-PJC

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile