Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Decisions for top schools to come in after deposit deadlines for the rest. WTF?  (Read 1166 times)

brooklyn

• View Profile
edited: question was whether it's possible to ask schools to defer seat deposits. 

ScreamingInfidelities

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You should put down a seat deposit at your first choice of what you have been accepted to unless you want to leave it to chance. It seems like most people are in the same situation having an outstanding application or two that they would take over something they are already into so schools are not likely to be sympathetic. It would be like saying "Can you give me an extension because I'd like to go here if I don't get in anywhere else?" At least it could come off that way.

No offense but seat deposits are about the cheapest thing about law school so if you really can't afford one I'd take a hard look at the financial situation.

Good luck with the rest of the schools on your list.

matlock2008

• View Profile
    • Email
Uh, disregarding the other responder's apparent lack of financial concern, I would recommend writing a letter because it's unlikely to hurt you.  It's not like the school will withdraw the offer of admission.  As for a reason, how about 'though i'm very interested in your school, i haven't heard from every school, and I'd like to have all of the information in front of me before making a decision.'  Likely to work?  Yeah, I don't know, I agree that schools PROBABLY won't be sympathetic to this...but yeah your only other options are gambling or spending money that might be wasted.

cyberrev

what irks me is requiring a seat deposit prior to giving scholarship/financial aid information.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
what irks me is requiring a seat deposit prior to giving scholarship/financial aid information.

Times like these I am glad the two schools I am in at don't require seat deposits.  :P
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You should put down a seat deposit at your first choice of what you have been accepted to unless you want to leave it to chance. It seems like most people are in the same situation having an outstanding application or two that they would take over something they are already into so schools are not likely to be sympathetic. It would be like saying "Can you give me an extension because I'd like to go here if I don't get in anywhere else?" At least it could come off that way.

No offense but seat deposits are about the cheapest thing about law school so if you really can't afford one I'd take a hard look at the financial situation.

Good luck with the rest of the schools on your list.

Its a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of ls, but it still complete bull and a waste of money.  Throwing away money is a horrible thing regardless of the how much you have or what percentage of the total cost it is.  Likewise, several hundred $$ can go far when i go back to living as a student

nowayman

• Sr. Citizen
  • "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
It's not wasted.  It's insurance.
Michigan, Class of 2008.5!

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It's not wasted.  It's insurance.

no, its a crock of *&^%.  theres no reason all schools couldnt have decisions out before deposits are due.  its a shameful way for them to squeeze a few extra grand out of the app process. 

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sorry about your financial situation but check out the schools' policy for refunding seat deposits.  I think some schools offer a full refund of your deposit when you rescind by a certain date (like June 1st).   I'm in the same situation -- I'm still waiting for decisions and on a couple waiting lists, but I applied in late October!  So just put down a couple hundred dollars and you might get a refund anyways.   You can't blame the schools for wanting to know an estimate of how many students are intending to enroll. 

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sorry about your financial situation but check out the schools' policy for refunding seat deposits.  I think some schools offer a full refund of your deposit when you rescind by a certain date (like June 1st).   I'm in the same situation -- I'm still waiting for decisions and on a couple waiting lists, but I applied in late October!  So just put down a couple hundred dollars and you might get a refund anyways.   You can't blame the schools for wanting to know an estimate of how many students are intending to enroll. 

I dont blame them for wanting an estimate, I blame the schools for not sending out decisions earlier or not extending the deposit deadline.  The schools Im considering dont refund any of the deposit.