Law School Discussion

What do you guys think of John McWhorter

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
Re: What do you guys think of John McWhorter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:28:25 PM »
Interesting, I like where he is coming from in this article. It is sad that messages like this are often surpressed by the "hand out" driven democrats and not articulated by the "it's not my problem" republicans. I like the balance he brings to the issue and hope people will listen to his message objectively.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:57:59 PM »
McWhorter is a great read; always insightful.  He voted for Kerry in 2004 and he's far from a hack.  Sometimes his analysis is a bit mundane, but it is always a unique perspective and I enjoy reading his stuff.  I was fortunate enough to have dinner with him after a panel at the New School a year or two ago -- he's even better as a linguist (that is what his Ph.D is in) than a social commentator.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:05:50 PM »
Unlike Lacoste, I'm less than thrilled with McWhorter and have been for some time.  In fact, I pretty much disagree with the majority of what he says but that should be no surprise to any of you I imagine.

redemption

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »
Mcworther posits a false choice. His premise is bad.

He is an enjoyable read on linguistics, however.

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »
One section that jumps out -- at one point in another thread on BLSD one of my respected peers argued that (paraphrasing) a brother standing on the street speaking his own way is not ignorant, but rather an activist that is avoiding "selling out."  McWhorter notes,

"For someone to stand at the barricades and shout "black power" in 1946 would have seemed bizarre. Twenty years later, it fit into a new mood. People start thinking that acting up is activism."

This is entirely on point and one of the biggest problems with our culture across the board, not just in Black America.

redemption

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 07:51:59 PM »
One section that jumps out -- at one point in another thread on BLSD one of my respected peers argued that (paraphrasing) a brother standing on the street speaking his own way is not ignorant, but rather an activist that is avoiding "selling out."  McWhorter notes,

"For someone to stand at the barricades and shout "black power" in 1946 would have seemed bizarre. Twenty years later, it fit into a new mood. People start thinking that acting up is activism."

This is entirely on point and one of the biggest problems with our culture across the board, not just in Black America.

I agree with his sentiment here.

His argument in the book is still faulty. A child could see through it.

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 08:02:30 PM »

I agree with his sentiment here.

His argument in the book is still faulty. A child could see through it.

Which book -- his newest?  I haven't read that one.

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 07:03:45 AM »
I've read all his books and his articles in the City Journal.  Very intelligent but you can see his position from a mile away.  But i like to hear a different perpective every now and then.

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »
Who?