Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at Tulane!  (Read 742 times)

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
In at Tulane!
« on: March 08, 2006, 07:19:53 PM »
Via email titled "Acceptance to Tulane Law School". I was getting nervous because I applied so long ago, but it is great to finally get a response. Now I wait for the money offer....
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

brooklyn

• View Profile
Re: In at Tulane!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 01:11:31 AM »
edited to remove personal data.  don't be afraid to call the school.

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 04:08:26 AM »
hey bruinbro,

Congrats from a fellow bruin!  I may just see you at Tulane!  If you look on LSN, you can probably estimate how much the scholarship will be for... there's a little variation, but not much... looks like it's mostly based on numbers/URM status.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »
hey bruinbro,

Congrats from a fellow bruin!  I may just see you at Tulane!  If you look on LSN, you can probably estimate how much the scholarship will be for... there's a little variation, but not much... looks like it's mostly based on numbers/URM status.

Thanks a lot Shady. I got a follow-up email today from Tulane offering 13K, which I consider very generous. I would love to live in New Orleans and be a part of the rebuilding (and the next Mardi Gras), so I might actually end up seeing you there. It is going to be a tough choice narrowing down my remaining schools.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

l1lshady0

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:47:49 PM »
In regards to narrowing down your choice... I've heard that Chicago-Kent's grading curve is harsh, and that it's actually not all that easy to keep your scholarship... I guess you have that information... do you have to be in the top quarter?  Basically what I heard was that Chicago-Kent offers huge first year scholarships to many students, but that alot of those students don't keep them the second year.

Between Tulane and Davis, which I'm guessing is what your decision really comes down to, well, if you're a Cali resident, that in-state tuition is pretty tempting, especially since it doesn't have a gpa contingency.  That being said, I've heard from Tulane students that keeping your scholarship shouldn't be *too* difficult... I think the curve is a B- or possibly a B for some professors.  And it looks like a great school with possibly even a better reputation nationally (or at least in certain parts of the nation) than Davis, despite the rankings.  Anyway, good luck with your decision!

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »
In regards to narrowing down your choice... I've heard that Chicago-Kent's grading curve is harsh, and that it's actually not all that easy to keep your scholarship... I guess you have that information... do you have to be in the top quarter?  Basically what I heard was that Chicago-Kent offers huge first year scholarships to many students, but that alot of those students don't keep them the second year.

Between Tulane and Davis, which I'm guessing is what your decision really comes down to, well, if you're a Cali resident, that in-state tuition is pretty tempting, especially since it doesn't have a gpa contingency.  That being said, I've heard from Tulane students that keeping your scholarship shouldn't be *too* difficult... I think the curve is a B- or possibly a B for some professors.  And it looks like a great school with possibly even a better reputation nationally (or at least in certain parts of the nation) than Davis, despite the rankings.  Anyway, good luck with your decision!

I think they are both great schools... Davis vs. Tulane is a hell of a debate to have.  I'd kill for a problem like that!  Way to go.