Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which florida school?  (Read 7036 times)

yykm

• View Profile
Re: Which florida school?
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2007, 08:20:20 AM »
While I'm transferring out of UF, top 10% meets the reqts for all OCI firms, except the IP ones.  I know several top 10% students who have biglaw SA jobs as 1Ls.  If you want biglaw and are top 10% at UF, you can get biglaw.  The only reason anyone in the top 10% doesnt get biglaw is due to choice or doing something stupid.

NOTE: the biglaw I described doesnt include biglaw in the major markets - NYC, DC, LA, SF, Chicago.  Therefore, obtaining a biglaw position at one of the firm's smaller offices is available.

Firms choose you for OCI, so even if you are top 10% it doesn't mean you're going to get the interview or the callback. I also know several students there who say that their group of friends who are in the top 10% didn't have the same luck you mentioned.
Yes, at UF, firms choose who they want to interview for OCI.  However, it doesnt make much sense that of all the firms that come for UF's OCI that the top 10% won't have interviews.  Which students are the firms going to interview over the top 10%?  Even as a 1L with decent grades (~33%), I had 2 Spring OCI interviews out of 6 bids.  I didnt receive any offers, but that doesnt mean anything since firms dont really hire 1Ls.  More later...

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2007, 08:30:57 AM »
this thread is not approved.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2007, 04:37:22 PM »
While I'm transferring out of UF, top 10% meets the reqts for all OCI firms, except the IP ones.  I know several top 10% students who have biglaw SA jobs as 1Ls.  If you want biglaw and are top 10% at UF, you can get biglaw.  The only reason anyone in the top 10% doesnt get biglaw is due to choice or doing something stupid.

NOTE: the biglaw I described doesnt include biglaw in the major markets - NYC, DC, LA, SF, Chicago.  Therefore, obtaining a biglaw position at one of the firm's smaller offices is available.

Firms choose you for OCI, so even if you are top 10% it doesn't mean you're going to get the interview or the callback. I also know several students there who say that their group of friends who are in the top 10% didn't have the same luck you mentioned.

That may or may not be true. However, even if it is, do you not see how that undermines the contention that Stetson students in the 1/3 of their class are virtually guaranteed a job? After all, UF is a T1 school and Stetson is T3. The reputations nationally and even in-state aren't close to comparable.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »

That may or may not be true. However, even if it is, do you not see how that undermines the contention that Stetson students in the 1/3 of their class are virtually guaranteed a job? After all, UF is a T1 school and Stetson is T3. The reputations nationally and even in-state aren't close to comparable.

I'm not discounting what you say, I am more discounting the others that say that top 10% at UF guarantees you a biglaw position. Top 10% at any Florida school guarantees you nothing.

Stetson is T2 now though.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »
"Guarantee" is an overstatement because the student still needs to sell himself in the interview.  Even if youre top 10%, you can fail an interview.  Still, biglaw is yours if youre top 10% at UF and you dont screw up the interview or do something stupid.  Coming into the interview with a sense of entitlement would fall under both categories, and I wouldnt be surprised if an UF student lost an opportunity for such a reason.

I won't comment on the opportunities for top 10% at other FL schools since I dont attend them.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »

I'm not discounting what you say, I am more discounting the others that say that top 10% at UF guarantees you a biglaw position. Top 10% at any Florida school guarantees you nothing.

Stetson is T2 now though.

Agreed, though UF gives you a decent shot at local markets and secondary national markets.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2007, 09:25:52 PM »
One more observation on the UF hiring situation; you really don't have to be in the top 10% to get OCI interviews, if you're not picky and willing to bid on every single firm that comes to campus. As someone in the top 10%, I can tell you for a fact that and several of my Law review friends didn't apply to more than 20 firms. Even the lesser-known mid-law and biglaw firms won't get bids from the entire top 10 percent, which leaves more space down the list.
I'd say at UF you can get a very good job if you're in the top third and have decent interviewing/networking skills. I know a couple in the top half in this position, but they have killer networking skills on their side.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
Re: Not a gator troll
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2007, 06:29:37 PM »
Which Florida school.... now there's a question.

I will preface this with my usual advice. Before picking a law school, you are best served by identifying your needs. What are you looking for in the law school you want? Once you get out of the T14, this is what you need to identify. There is no universal best answer- there is only what is best for you.

Do you need to live near a beach? Then you should go to Miami or FSU. So you want to live in a major urban area? Miami. Small city? Gainesville. In-between? FSU. Want to see politics up close? FSU. Want to practice your spanish skills and plan on doing some bilingual law? Miami. Want to lower your debt level? UF or FSU, unless there's a scholarship involved. I don't know much about Stetson, although I've heard their trial law program is very well respected.

And so on...

But let's say money is not an object, and you have no sense of self, and you just think, "Hey, I'd like to go to school in Florida!" How do you rank them?

hype thinks UF is all rerp, and on his visit, they had an attitude that you should feel blessed just to go there. Well, there's a reason for this. UF has traditionally been the crown jewel of the Florida University system, and the law school is the most prestigious one in Florida. Is it the 'best' one? Define 'best'. The argument about being too far away from a major metro area to get a job in Gainesville doesn't hold water- while it means that summer internships may require a move (as is the case with many schools), UF is much close to the growth markets of Orlando, Jacksonville, and Tampa than Miami is. But that's really a distinction without a difference.

You ask how to rank the schools. I think that the rankings in USNWR accurately depict the pecking order in the state. This is not the difference between Hah-vahd and Suffolk in the Boston area... but they're a little farther apart than BU and BC. Define what you want, then choose the school that tbest matches your desires. In my case, I only applied to UF, because I knew that it was the only school in Florida I'd be happy at. You couldn't pay me to live in Miami, and Tallahassee has always seemed like a cross between Albany and an ambien.

They are all, however, fine schools, and if you do well, you'll do okay in post-graduation employment.

Unless, of course, you're a UF graduate interviewing with an FSU graduate after the Gators just shellacked the 'Noles. Then you're on your own.

FSU near a beach? No. Shell point and apalachicola bay does not really count as a "beach".

This shouldn't even be a consideration. If you get into UF, you go to UF. It's 41 in the USNEWS rankings and it's 33 in the Leiter Top 35 rankings.

UF has one of the nation's top Tax and environmental law programs. Also, their administration is fabulous, and Dean Jerry is especially great and accessible.

Despite FSU's location in Tallahassee, there actually aren't that many opportunities available  in Tallahassee....it really is a college town.

FSU law school is certainly prettier than UF's, and if you are interested in Criminal law they are highly regarded due to their programs working with the school of criminology (one of the top in the world). (disclosure: I went to FSU undergrad).

Stetson is a backup school, like Nova.

Miami is simply a shithole. The law school is *&^%, it's not a competitive education, Miami is a bad place to live, and UM even worse of a location, and if you're interested in spanish programs, consider going to a school that offers extensive international law programs that offers a legal rhetoric in spanish course. Miami spanish ≠ rest of world spanish. FIU would be a better choice.

Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »

ADVERTISEMENT

Originally published September 18, 2007
Bar exam results released
By Angeline Taylor
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER    Print    Email to a friend    Subscribe

Florida A&M University's College of Law came in 10th and eighth place for its percentage of students who passed the two-part bar exam, according to the Florida Board of Bar Examiners.

The board, which serves as the Florida Supreme Court's administrative arm, announced test results of students who sat for the exam in July. Sixty percent of FAMU's College of Law students passed the Florida or general portion of the test and 79.2 percent passed the multi-state/professional part.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We congratulate our Florida A&M University law graduates who passed the July 2007 bar exam," interim law-school dean Ruth Witherspoon said by e-mail. "The results on that exam evidenced an increase in our overall bar pass rate. While we are certainly pleased with this improvement, we realize we still have a way to go to yield the results that we are capable of achieving."

FAMU College of Law students' scores ranked in last place out of the 10 Florida law schools on the general portion of the test.

Two other schools fell below FAMU's scores on the professional portion of the test. Those schools are Barry University, with 76.9 percent, and University of Miami, with a 74.5-percent passing rate.

It is unclear what official ranking FAMU's College of Law will receive as a result of these July 2007 test scores. However, 89 percent of Florida State University's students passed the general portion of the test and 85.4 percent of FSU students passed the professional portion of the test.

According to the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, 3,216 applicants took the exam and 1,593 passed the test.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

syncmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »
The reality of the matter is that top 10% at any Florida school isn't going to guarantee you biglaw. I know plenty of people at UF who say that you may get OCI interviews if you are top 10% but even then the callbacks may be few and far between.

that's likely correct. however it is an absolute fact that the top 10% at florida has a better shot than the top 10% at stetson.

Absolute fact?  Let's look at the July 2007 Bar Results for first time test takers?

The results reflect the passing percentage for first-time takers:

Florida State:  89.0% (146 out of 164 passed)
Stetson:         87.6% (197 out of 225 passed)
Florida:         86.8% (178 out of 205 passed)
FIU:             85.9% (55 out of 64 passed)
Miami:  85.8% (224 out of 261 passed)
Coastal:         84.4% (141 out of 167 passed)
Nova             81.9% (176 out of 215 passed)
Barry            79.1% (68 out of 86 passed)
non-Fla.         75.4% (645 out of 855 passed)
St. Thomas      72.2% (96 out of 133 passed)
FAMU             60.0% (45 out of 75 passed)
Overall 80.4% (1971 out of 2450 passed)

We also received the overall results for the August 2007 MPRE:

FIU              95.5%
Florida 92.4%
Nova             89.0%
Stetson 87.7% (64 out of 73 passed)
Florida State   85.4%
non-Florida     84.8%
Coastal 82.9%
St. Thomas      82.2%
FAMU             79.2%
Barry            76.9%
Miami            74.5%
Overall 85.2%

Looks like FSU & Stetson graduates might be more prepared to actually get jobs then those from UF.