Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which florida school?  (Read 6949 times)

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which florida school?
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »
I've been a Floridian for 20 years and can't recall ever meeting anyone who spoke about Miami negatively. Big city, diverse, lots of culture, beaches, hundreds of bars, clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, palm trees everywhere, awesome weather. I think its great.

here's a neg:  traffic; hurricanes;  ppl speak to u in Spanish

Traffic, hurricanes, Spanish are all negatives people, but also the "big city," "clubs," and "palm trees everywhere part" turn a lot of people off. Not to mention a lot of people find the culture not to their particular liking.

Being from NY, that was a def appeal for me

And that's why there are a ton of NY transplants in S. FL. And another reason why a lot of Floridians hate S. FL. And GOD do I hate the Yankees. /baseballrant
Tulane c/o 2011

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
<--- mets fan  :P
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 05:13:54 PM »

Wow.

I'm surprised you are surprised. We must come from completely different parts of Florida.

I'm surprised you're surprised she's surprised. I've lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Orlando, and now Gainesville, and everywhere I've heard positive and negative things about Miami (especially in Jax/Gville). Miami just isn't everyone's cup of tea (it's definitely not mine), and it isn't because we're all "racist POS's."

I agree too. Most people I know have absolutely no interest in Miami because it's a different lifestyle from the rest of Florida.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »
i LOVE Miami.

just so dang $$$
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »
Miami could be so much better if it had (1) better public transit and (2) less sprawl.  Public transit is the key.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »
Miami could be so much better if it had (1) better public transit and (2) less sprawl.  Public transit is the key.

well, it cant sprawl anymore...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 06:04:38 PM »
Please rank in order from best down.  UFL, Florida State, Stetson or Miami.  Thanks

without question, if you have to go to a florida school, go to UF.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »
With regard to UF, FSU, and UMiami, it matters more about how well you do than where you go.  I think that because of Florida's geographic location (being somewhat away from other populous states) students from the area matriculate because they just "want" to stay in Florida.  I did my UG in Florida and most of my friends just went back home afterwards.  Not because they couldn't go anywhere else, but b/c they wanted to.  That being said, I wouldn't worry to much about out of state placement stats, or placement within the state for that matter. 

Yes, its true FSU doesn't have a presence in S. Florida, but I think its due to self selection.  UMiami dominating S. Florida is as a result of the same thing.  Honestly people, they are all very similar in terms of admissions standards.  It's pretty frequent that an applicant applying to all three at the same time will either get into all three or dinged by all three.  Which one you choose should just be based on where you want to spend law school.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

Forget Money, Read a Book

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 06:27:48 PM »
personally, i'd judge based on cost so would choose UF, FSU, UMiami in that order.
Attending: The "U"

IN: UMiami($$), UofArizona($$), American, URichmond($$), UofSouth Carolina($$)
OUT:  BC, IU-B, UF,
WL:  GWU, UNC, UGA

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2007, 04:53:39 PM »

well, it cant sprawl anymore...

Don't worry, our gubmint is working hand-in-hand with Big Sugar on plans to pave over the Everglades.  Lots of places to build new $250k, 800 sq. ft condos are on the horizon!   :P

Also, FIU > all

HTH!
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.