Re: Which florida school?
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2007, 05:46:44 AM »
tag

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2007, 09:08:18 AM »
I've been a Floridian for 20 years and can't recall ever meeting anyone who spoke about Miami negatively.

Wow.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2007, 09:18:19 AM »
People don't like Miami because they are racist POS.  I can't wait until the Hispanic invasion forces you all to go to Canada. 

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »

Wow.

I'm surprised you are surprised. We must come from completely different parts of Florida.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03:31 AM »

Wow.

I'm surprised you are surprised. We must come from completely different parts of Florida.

I'm surprised you're surprised she's surprised. I've lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Orlando, and now Gainesville, and everywhere I've heard positive and negative things about Miami (especially in Jax/Gville). Miami just isn't everyone's cup of tea (it's definitely not mine), and it isn't because we're all "racist POS's."

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
I've been a Floridian for 20 years and can't recall ever meeting anyone who spoke about Miami negatively. Big city, diverse, lots of culture, beaches, hundreds of bars, clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, palm trees everywhere, awesome weather. I think its great.

here's a neg:  traffic; hurricanes;  ppl speak to u in Spanish

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2007, 11:07:41 AM »
I've been a Floridian for 20 years and can't recall ever meeting anyone who spoke about Miami negatively. Big city, diverse, lots of culture, beaches, hundreds of bars, clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, palm trees everywhere, awesome weather. I think its great.

Traffic, hurricanes, Spanish are all negatives people, but also the "big city," "clubs," and "palm trees everywhere part" turn a lot of people off. Not to mention a lot of people find the culture not to their particular liking.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »

I'm just stating why I like it, I don't doubt that people may not like it for those same reasons. Generally though, those things are what are spoken about, in my experience, as some of the highlights. I'm not a club person myself, but being a night bird, do appreciate the fact that there is life going on outside after dark and everything doesn't close down at 9 or 10. It makes things feel more lively. I guess nothing negative was a stretch, thats not really what I meant. People do complain often about expensive drinks, and the traffic can get bad and that sort of thing. What I meant was these are over shadowed by praise of other things.

People mostly talk about what a good time they've had and how they want to go back. It's always been considered one of the "hot spots" in my experience. We may just be interacting with different demographics in our discussions of Miami.

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »

I'm just stating why I like it, I don't doubt that people may not like it for those same reasons. Generally though, those things are what are spoken about, in my experience, as some of the highlights. I'm not a club person myself, but being a night bird, do appreciate the fact that there is life going on outside after dark and everything doesn't close down at 9 or 10. It makes things feel more lively. I guess nothing negative was a stretch, thats not really what I meant. People do complain often about expensive drinks, and the traffic can get bad and that sort of thing. What I meant was these are over shadowed by praise of other things.

People mostly talk about what a good time they've had and how they want to go back. It's always been considered one of the "hot spots" in my experience. We may just be interacting with different demographics in our discussions of Miami.

The demographics thing most definitely comes in to play. When you get up to places like Gainesville and Jacksonville, you get a lot of people that act as if Miami is a foreign country that they wouldn't step foot in. I think people have a good time there, but in my opinion, it's somewhere I'd rather visit than live.

I think it can be summed up thusly:

If you're a "club" kind of person, you'd probably enjoy Miami.
If you're a "bar" person, I'd probably stay away.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »

Traffic, hurricanes, Spanish are all negatives people, but also the "big city," "clubs," and "palm trees everywhere part" turn a lot of people off. Not to mention a lot of people find the culture not to their particular liking.

Being from NY, that was a def appeal for me