Law School Discussion

Which florida school?

Re: Which florida school?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
Actually, my stats come from the ABA:

Checks out the stats published by US News, it will tell you a whole different story.

Think about it, is it realistic to expect 100% of graduates to voluntarily reports his/her private salary information?

I would think that most will probably report, but some 25%-50% will not (especially the ones who are unemployed or making 30K), unless we are talking about Harvard grads who all are making 125K, the usual and expected amount out of them.   

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
Clarification, please?
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2006, 07:17:57 PM »
Chapelle,

As far as I know, and from the example you gave, the ABA does not report salary figures, just position (government, private etc.) and % employed figures.

Contract's numbers (from USNWR) does include salaries, and does have the statistical problems that was the point of this thread.

If the ABA does publish salary figures, I will stand corrected. Please advise as to where we can find them.

loki13

• View Profile
Der....
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »
Still fried from the Bball game. Starting salaries was the point of the starting salaries-wrong, or just false thread I was writing on earlier.

This is the Florida school threads.

I need some sleep.

Re: Der....
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »
Which school should you choose?

The one that's going to the national championship baby!

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2006, 03:20:36 PM »
Floridians generally have a low opinion of Miami, even people who live in Miami. First of all, the majority of people living in Miami speak Spanish as a first language. The people I know who live/work in Miami use Spanish in their jobs. The sole reason why I wouldn't live there is that I do not have the Spanish proficiency I think I'd need to be successful there. It also has a reputation for having lots of drug-related crime and gangs. I think Tampa usually ranks as having more crime, but everyone still acts like Miami is much worse. I am not sure why.

I would have to disagree with this.

I live in Tampa and i LOVE Miami.

Dont speak spanish(a few words) but Ive never had a problem finding someone down there that spoke English.

I would be curious to know how many English-only lawyers get jobs down there.
Or Broward or Palm Beach

loki13

• View Profile
About that Miami thing
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »
There's two kindsw of people...

those who divide others into arbitrary groups, and those who don't.

Anyway, there are many ways to divide Florida. You could say there's the extreme south (Miami area), Tampa Bay area, Orlando-Jax middle area, and Panhandle. But the biggest distinction is between Miami (and surrounding area) and the rest of Florida. As a somewhat-native Floridian myself (born in Dunedin, baby!), I would agree with assessment that Floridians generally have a low opinion of Miami. Maybe those aren't the right words- but they view it a a completely different area. To rural Floridians, it represents the evils of the Big City (much like upstate New Yorkers view NYC). To many others with a more, well, bigoted take on things, it is too multicultural. Your post said it all...

You didn't have a problem finding someone who spoke English.

First, there are some areas of Miami where this isn't quite true, although they are unlikely to be visited by the average UM student. Second, would you make this statement about any other city in Florida? This is the type of thing I said after I visited Amsterdam- I didn't have trouble finding someone who spoke English. Not the type of thing you'd expect to hear after visiting most cities in the US. That said, I don't think of that as a disadvantage. The latino culture there adds a vibrancy and feeling to the city that other cities lack or express differently. It also means that it is helpful (although certainly not required) to know some Spanish if you'd like to go into certain legal fields in S. Florida and want to deal with large segments of the population, or you're looking into international law, because the focus there is to the south.

Look, Miami, for some people, is a decent place to be. Some people like it. Some people *love* it and couldn't imagine living elsewhere. But if I was thinking of attending UM from out of state, and hadn't lived in a big city before, or had only lived in Northeast big cities, I would definitely check it out before committing.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2006, 07:16:41 PM »
The USNews employment stats get thrown around way too much for the majority of schools talked about.  Here is a passage of their calculation of placement in the 2007 mag, which says:

Placement Success (.20):
Success is determined by employment rates for 2004 graduates at graduation (20 percent) and nine months after (70 percent) as well as their bar passage rate (10 percent).  Employment rates include graduates reported as working or pursuing graduate degrees: for the nine-month rate only, 25 percent of those whose status is unknown are also counted as working.  Those not seeking jobs are excluded. 

The rest of that part goes on about the bar passage rate stuff.  Anyways, look how it says, "25 percent of those whose status is unknown are also counted as working."  This raises my eyebrows a bit.

Personally, I would rely on stats coming from LSAC more than USNews.  You can also call up the schools and ask them for the specifics.  Most of them have this information on hand and should be willing to provide it to you esp. if youre admitted.  You might even be able to save the school the time and locate it on their website somewhere.  From what I remember, UM and UF both had rates right around 96% and 97% for student employed 9 mo. after grad or pursuing advanced degrees.  Also looking at NALP, more large firm do OCI at UF than UM and i bet FSU and Stetson too.  You can check out the firms website to see how many grads from each actually work at the firms too if youre willing to invest the time.  I remember the ones in Miami had a lot of T14 and UM grads, but the next most common were UF grads.  I dont even remember seeing any FSU or Stetson ppl.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 08:10:26 AM »
anyone think stetson would ever surpass miami in the rankings?

wouldnt that be a hoot?  ;D

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 10:33:49 AM »
would be interesting

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
I've been a Floridian for 20 years and can't recall ever meeting anyone who spoke about Miami negatively. Big city, diverse, lots of culture, beaches, hundreds of bars, clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, palm trees everywhere, awesome weather. I think its great.