Law School Discussion

Which florida school?

Which florida school?
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
Please rank in order from best down.  UFL, Florida State, Stetson or Miami.  Thanks

Re: Which florida school?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:58:19 PM »
Wow, you opened a can of worms.  Look out for another UF vs. FSU debate.

Leaving aside all academic rankings such as USN&WR, here's how they rank with law firms in Florida:

#1: UF - over 1/4th of all lawyers in Florida are Levin Law grads
#2: FSU - especially north of I-4, but fine throughout the state
#3: Miami - South Florida only
#4: Stetson - Central Florida only

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »
I visited every school on your list except Stetson. 

Without thinking about the USNews or cost of attending,

1) UMiami b/c youre right there in presumably the best legal market of FL and the campus is the best. Administration has been the most personal and best overall compared to the other two.
2) FSU b/c the state courts are across the street. Its administration was a close second in the areas mentioned for miami.  Campus is prolly the ugliest of all 3
3) UF - ranked last mainly b/c its roughly 90 min away from any potential job markets. I felt like a number when I visited here.  However, I asked someone in the admissions about housing and they were the most helpful in this regard.  Campus/town area is second nicest.

However, with total cost included:

1) FSU
2) UF
3) Miami - just so damn expensive if youre pay the full sticker price

IF youre mostly going of rep, Id say

1) UF - well above the rest.  They expect you to attend here over the other schools based solely on its name... at least thats the impression I got.
2) UMiami
3) FSU - basically a tie with miami

Note: I didnt include stetson in any of these b/c I havent visited its campus nor have I researched the school.  Ranking it with the others w/o some of this info wouldnt be right

kree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
Stetson has an amazing reputation in Florida, but of course you have to balance that with the cost of tuition (compared to UF and FSU)

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »
Here are my thoughts-

1. FSU(government)/UF(other)- UF definitely has the best reputation statewide for getting jobs at the top firms, but FSU's location makes it a better choice for government work.

3. Miami- Located in the best legal market in Florida with the highest paying jobs, but the tuition/COL are also the highest of the four, so you won't have as much flexibility as you would with FSU/UF.

4. Stetson - Still a great reputation in Florida, beautiful campus, near the beach, but wages in the Tampa Bay area are the pits so it's going to be hard to pay off a Stetson education on what you'll likely make when you finish.

Intuition

• We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:21:31 AM »
I took a tour of UF earlier this week and I gotta say I was impressed with the new facilities. That place is about 180 degrees different from what it was 3-4 years ago. The library is brand new and most of (if not all) the classrooms are the same.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:36:06 AM »
Florida Coastal definitely had the best application  ;)

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:30:37 AM »
I might make the argument that Jacksonville will be a bigger legal market in the near future.  More fortune 500 companies are opening satellite offices there and it has a population of over a million people.

tobias

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »
I might make the argument that Jacksonville will be a bigger legal market in the near future.  More fortune 500 companies are opening satellite offices there and it has a population of over a million people.

A million people over a very, very large land area not all of which is actually in Jacksonville  (which was until recently and may still be the second largest city by land mass in US (after Juneau) since Duval incorporated in the 80s), rather just on the "first coast". I agree though the market there is expanding.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 11:49:11 AM »
It is still the second biggest city and the fact that it is so big leaves lots of space for development.