Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: W&M Admitted Students Day  (Read 2890 times)

CamJansen

• View Profile
Re: W&M Admitted Students Day - who's going?
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2006, 02:29:19 PM »
So how was it?? Are my new classmates gonna be completely awesometastic? Word.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: W&M Admitted Students Day - who's going?
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 07:01:56 PM »
It was awesome.  At least I thought so.  I am still in Virginia, but will do a write up when I get back.  There were a few cool admitted students, tons of cool current students, and some really cool profs and admin people, so I think it is a great group at the school.

I am visiting GW this week and Emory on Monday, but my fiance and I spent all day Sunday with a real estate agent looking at houses.  Tip: housing and shopping in Williamsburg isn't great, but only 15 minutes away in Newport News there are restaurants, movie theaters, and a real shopping mall with tons of stores, Best Buy, etc.  Housing prices are also a lot better.  We drove it and it really did take only 15 minutes, so if you are thinking of moving, Newport News gets my vote.

PM if you want more info . . .
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: W&M Admitted Students Day
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 12:44:40 AM »
Shopping in Williamsburg isn't as bleak as you may fear: two outlet malls, I repeat two outlet malls. :)
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 12:54:45 AM »
I went to Prime Outlet and they had some great stuff.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

crainjd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2006, 10:36:04 AM »
I was there, but only for the Saturday portion.  My thoughts on the day might be a little skewed in that I was 90% sure I was attending, so I was mainly looking for something that might keep me from going, not something to entice me to go. 

Liked:
-The people as was said above.  They were friendly, seemed honest and sincere.  Hard working, but not so much that it is the only thing they worried about.  Easy to approach and talk to.

The facilities.  They aren't top of the line, but there is nothing wrong with the classrooms.  The new library will help immensely.  The Courtroom 21 was impressive, although I thought the guy in charge (Leiter sp?), was extremely odd. 

The non-comeptitiveness.  I also know someone who attends and he confirmed that although competitive like all law schools, it is collegial.  Sharing of notes, group work etc.  No bitterness and grades are kept super private.

Price.  You can't beat it.  For tuition and for living.  For a good school, one of the best bargins.

Success.  97% bar passage rate last summer and great placement opportunities the area I'd like to live. 

Lunch was good!

Didn't like:

Friend told me it was very much like high school.  Everyone knows everyone and everyone has their set of friends. 

Focus a bit too much on organizations, didn't cover career service or curriculum.

In the end, I found more to like than dislike, and am now sold on attending.  Hope to see some of you there in the fall.
W&M Class of 2009

In: W&M, GWU, George Mason
Out: Georgetown, Dook
Waitlisted: UVA

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=crainjd

Applicant1693

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2006, 10:15:12 PM »
I'm mostly posting to get updates.

Also...

My experience with a Fall visit fits similarly--cool cool people.  Friendly fac/staff. 

Williamsburg's a nice place (more happening than you might imagine, but not off the hook). 

Parking sucks, in places, at times.
to William and Mary I go...gladly.

Raguguy

• AOL Instant Messenger - Paratroopa0
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 08:02:13 PM »
I just wanted to add a couple of things that will probably be of interest to incoming students who didn't attend the weekend:

They've decided to condense Property and Contracts into one-semester courses each, leaving 3 courses each semester + Legal Skills.  So 1Ls schedules will look like this:

Fall 2006

Criminal Law (4)
Civil Procedure (4)
Torts (4)
Legal Skills I (2)

Spring 2006

Contracts (4)
Property (4)
Constitutional Law (5)
Legal Skills II (2)

Also, they gave us a schedule for when the first semester classes will take place.  There are no classes before 10am, so that's pretty sweet.  It also looks like there is the possibility that some people will have no class on Friday, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.  ;)

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 10:38:11 PM »
In my opinion the new schedule is a lot better than the one I had to take. Property and Contracts were my least favorite classes, and crim law, which is getting a bump is one of the msot fun classes.  You also have to take 1 less credit. Consider yourselves lucky.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 11:15:48 PM »
That new schedule sounds dope. Also, no classes before 10am!? Umm, heck yes!
Any other good news from the weekend? Free passes to Busch Gardens? Classes held at the Festhaus?

Raguguy

• AOL Instant Messenger - Paratroopa0
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 01:10:12 AM »
They did say they have a William & Mary Day at Busch Gardens, where only W&M students (UG included) get in.  I think admission is only like $10 on that day...Or maybe it was a night thing...Anyway, my host said lines were practically non-existant on that day.