Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: From someone who's been there ...  (Read 2080 times)

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
From someone who's been there ...
« on: March 08, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »
I checked out LSD again for the first time since last year, after my admissions cycle.

I just wanted to wish everyone here good luck at whatever school they go to.

Not everyone can go to law school, and I had a few friends who got blanked at all of their choices. Go to the best school for you and be happy with your decision.

I also wanted to say I was reading the admissions/ranking thing and laughed a little. I remember reading the exact same questions last year, everyone making the same types of predictions, and everyone freaking out when the new rankings were released.

From someone who's been there, they just don't matter that much. I go to a pretty good school and I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The friends I've made along the way and atmosphere made my school a great choice. Sure employers know of the "t14" and "t1" schools, but who doesn't? They're pretty much the same schools that have always been there. If you don't go to a T1 school, and most people don't, it's not the end of the world.

It's really no big deal if your chosen school drops a few spots. Once you're actually in law school, you won't care. Trust me. You'll have bigger things to worry about like trial briefs, appellate motions, and the d*mn law journal write-on competition. That thing ruined my spring break.

So in a nutshell, my advice to all of you would be to take the rankings with a grain of salt. If you're smart and work hard, you'll rise above everyone else and employers will see that. In the end, that's what matters.

Again, best of luck to all.

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: From someone who's been there ...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »
Thanks.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 01:35:48 AM »
I checked out LSD again for the first time since last year, after my admissions cycle.

Not everyone can go to law school, and I had a few friends who got blanked at all of their choices. Go to the best school for you and be happy with your decision.

I also wanted to say I was reading the admissions/ranking thing and laughed a little. I remember reading the exact same questions last year, everyone making the same types of predictions, and everyone freaking out when the new rankings were released.

From someone who's been there, they just don't matter that much. I go to a pretty good school and I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. The friends I've made along the way and atmosphere made my school a great choice. Sure employers know of the "t14" and "t1" schools, but who doesn't? They're pretty much the same schools that have always been there. If you don't go to a T1 school, and most people don't, it's not the end of the world.

It's really no big deal if your chosen school drops a few spots. Once you're actually in law school, you won't care. Trust me. You'll have bigger things to worry about like trial briefs, appellate motions, and the d*mn law journal write-on competition. That thing ruined my spring break.

So in a nutshell, my advice to all of you would be to take the rankings with a grain of salt. If you're smart and work hard, you'll rise above everyone else and employers will see that. In the end, that's what matters.

Again, best of luck to all.

no you're wrong

the rankings are all that matter; there is nothing else that is important

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
Yep. Good post. A little perspective helps.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

Jackie Chiles, ESQ.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who told you to put the balm on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 01:16:39 AM »
yea i have heard that from a cousin of mine before, that the ranking doesnt matter just do the best you can.. and i thought i would be able to handle it like that - but i cant i am so worried about rankings that it kills me now and i dont take my lsat until june

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 11:42:33 AM »
typical TTT justification

1Laspirant

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
    • The Numbers...Such as they are
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »
Gracias. It's nice to get some perspective from an actual law student rather than rampant speculation. Thanks for taking the time to write it, and good luck with the write-on. 1LA

Innie: TTU, NCCU, Ole Miss (so very happy), FCU, Valpo, Elon, Campbell
Outie: WFU, LSU, Mont
No Navel (freaks): UNC, IU-I
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."
Numbers