Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Haven't heard back yet - do I contact the admissions office?  (Read 2215 times)

Stubbs

• View Profile
Haven't heard back yet - do I contact the admissions office?
« on: January 07, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »
I applied to Indiana University - Indianapolis.  The LSAC website says my application was sent, and I got a letter from the school saying that they had received my application and were waiting for the application data to arrive from LSAC.  I'm not actually sure that they received the data, though. 

I'm a little worried since my GPA is a 2.7 and my LSAT is a 163.  I tried out a bunch of different majors in college and didn't study until I settled on criminal justice, whereupon my grades improved and I wound up on the Dean's List my last year.  I've been a teacher for five years.  I just relocated to Indy with my husband, and it's the only law school around.  Relocation is not an option, so I only applied to *one* law school.  I hinted at that in my personal statement.  My combined GPA and LSAT score put me in about the 65th %ile for the school's applicants, which I hope is enough to get me in, but I know with my incredible low GPA it's still tough.   

Anyway, is it okay for applicants to contact the admissions office and bug them a little about their application?  I don't want somebody getting annoyed and and sending me a reject letter just to keep me from calling them again.  However, I want an answer!  Now!  And it better be a yes!  :) 

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Haven't heard back yet - do I contact the admissions office?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 12:37:08 AM »
I think you have to feel the admissions staff out. 

The best way of doing that, I think, is to just show up at the admissions office during business hours (people seem to have better luck when they show up in person) and present yourself, saying you have a number of concerns, and ask if theyres any way possible you could set up an appointment with someone.  Your professional, mature apperance will aid you in person; on the phone youre just another vocie in their ear. 

You certainly have an unusual situation, with your circumstances limited to indianapolis. 

Anyway, if you show up, professional and friendly, the worst they can do is say "interivews arent granted", or come to an "information session".  I think what will happen is someone will set up a time, and more likely, someone will talk to you right there on the spot. 

My very limited experience working in bureaucracies taught me that the most is accomplished by "just showing up."  By going there and asking to set up an appointment, you're not putting out anyone or being a pest.  Hell, I hound one of the schools I'm trying for weekly.  If not for me, my now committee-ready app would be in the hold files, waiting on a pers. statement that they lost in transmission.

Good luck.  And another thing-- One of the law schools sent me a letter explicitly saying not to contact the admissions office.  Unless you got such a letter, i say head down to IUPUI and see to whom you might speak. 

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 01:51:25 AM »
I say that you just hang out and await a formal letter from the law school.

CD

tgarrido

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 04:28:30 AM »
I'd probably wait and see.  If they didn't get your data, it's probably going to be a rough ride to get considered late anyway.  More likely, they got your data, are swamped with applications, and it just takes time.  I noticed on the discussion board for last year some people didn't hear back from certain schools until April!

I only applied to two local law schools (McGeorge and UC Davis), but both schools sent me a confirmation email stating that my file was complete.  I even received an additional mailing from McGeorge.  Are you sure you didn't get some kind of confirmation that they have your file?

Stubbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 08:50:05 AM »
I waited and saw, and I got in!  Sweet!