Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA controversy at CU  (Read 3355 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: AA controversy at CU
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 12:01:45 AM »
i can't say that i have alot of respect for her.  it sounds to me like she is blaiming others for her short comings.  what if her problem is not with cu but with an inability to write a quality exam answer?  this weakness would be apparent at most schools. it's not like she was getting Cs.  this individual was getting Ds.  i am not familiar with the cu curve, but it is likely w/in the B-/B range.  why is there no mention of her seeking help to find out exactly why she performed poorly.  i really don't think her answer would have been a flat out, "because you're inferior to the rest of the class."  also, we don't know how the other students in her gpa-lsat range performed in the school.  what if she is an outlier, even for those students in her admission group?  what if other supposedly aa admits perfomed at or above the median?  we don't know this info.  i fear that this unfortunate student has unwittingly placed herself in a position to exploited by those without her best interests at heart. 

was she the lowest ranked student at cu?  if a student with both a higher gpa and lsat was ranked below her, what does that say for her case?  what if there are two such students? 3?4? etc.  at what point will it become clear that maybe something else besides aa was the reason for her low exam performance? 

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 01:03:30 AM »
That girl's a b!tch.
If anyone gave me a full ride to law school I would STFU, not blame the law school for what I couldn't handle.
I think she is trying to make a point of some sort. It would not surprise me if she screwed up on purpose.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 10:17:31 AM »
That girl's a b!tch.
If anyone gave me a full ride to law school I would STFU, not blame the law school for what I couldn't handle.
I think she is trying to make a point of some sort. It would not surprise me if she screwed up on purpose.

There we go with the "black b!itch" comments.  Some folks never learn.... ::)
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »

As I said earlier, I'm fairly sure she's a shill for the CIR.  I don't think she wrote that letter herself (or without a lot of guidance).  And I think fear of discovery is why she refuses to meet with administrators who have offered to help resolve her problems.

But does anyone have any updates, or are we just reviving this thread because... ?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 12:47:25 PM »
I don't what a shill is.  You make points decent points I don't want to argue shes a saint necessarily, but you are looking at her from the most unfavorable pt. view possible, while I  looked at her situation from a more favorable pt. of view.

Lets say she was an AA admit, she seems to think so.  We'll even say she knew that at the time seh enrolled, but unlike the people here, she doesn't hang out on lsd or lsn and have it pushed in her face all the time. So she goes there, practically for free, works her butt off (remember I telling the story from a favorable view pt.) and finishs near the bottom of her class.  Failure is to take, especially if one worked hard.  Now you could say she is being whiny.  But how would you feel in her situation?  Some people care more about prestige and dollars, then want to do their best and succeed at what they do, they take a sense of pride in their accomplishments, working hard and not doing well is depressing and lowers ones confidence.  But when she complains people call her ungrateful.

Realistically her story probably isn't that sympathic, she could have easily only studied a hour or two a day, be somewhat lazy, and to boot came from a weaker educational background than her peers, or she could have worked hard, but in a stupid way, instead of working with her classmates in study groups and things, she went off by herself and failed to learn her weaknesses.  Who knows, we don't have enough information, but I am inclined to be sympathic to her.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »
I  looked at her situation from a more favorable pt. of view.

favorable to what, exactly?  your preconceived position on affirmative action?  that would be rather convenient, you'd almost have to admit? 

in your post you admit that there might be quite a few other reasons for her academic shortcomings and yet you still attempt to support your position.

"Who knows, we don't have enough information, but I am inclined to be sympath[etic] to her." 

why are you so inclined?

i would argue that it is because of this inclination that aa is a necessity. 

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 04:34:09 PM »
She is ungrateful.
And a b!tch.

I don't feel sorry for anyone who ruins opportunities given them and blames it on the school for letting them in. She should come to California and work for Ward Connerly.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 05:03:01 PM »
Hmm. 

When I read this a situation of mine came to mind:  I was a freshmen honors college student... at my school honors kids are allowed to waive pre-requisites.  So, I enrolled in an upper-level philosophy course (after actually taking the only pre-req for it, just by coincidence).  I was in far, far, over my head... so I withdrew and retook it after taking more background classes.  But I was rather frustrated that no one had warned me that this class might be as far above me as it had turned out.

Given this, I was inclined to sympathize with her- I was not ready for the kind of work required of me in that class because I didn't have enough background knowledge to do well...

But here's the thing:  law school is law school.  I can't say with certainty that it's not "harder" at some schools than at others, but rumor has it that the material taught is the same.  This would make sense, as you have to master the same things at Cooley and at Michigan if you want to pass the Michigan bar. 

Yes, it's unfortunate that she seemed not to know what she was getting herself into, but those resources exist.  Even the person MOST strapped for time and money will be able to find the LSAT/GPA percentiles for different schools (they probably even could be found in tha material sent to her house by the schools in the first place).   Anyone bright enough to go to law school who seems to believe, as she does, that these numbers are indicative of success or failure in law school (she states that her entering into the class with the lowest #'s pre-selected her to rank near the bottom), should have been able to understand this kind of risk.  She really can't blame them for not providing her with information she had access to. 
i like complicated :)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
i don't really care what she "feels."  the lsac's own data on gpa/lsat correlation suggest that there are people with lower lsat/gpas that outperform their indexes.  this data also suggests that there are people who underperform their gpa/lsat index.  i wonder what is said to be the reason for the higher gpa/lsat individual's underperformance. 

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 08:58:05 PM »
shaz you come across as a cruel, inhumane person.  People aren't robots you know, they having feelings, they can feel depressed, you need to learn how sympathize.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School