Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA controversy at CU  (Read 3255 times)

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
AA controversy at CU
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:33:06 PM »
This is interesting.  You have to scroll through a bunch of garbage comments till you get to the letters.

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=363744&mc=243&forum_id=2

2L

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
Re: AA controversy at CU
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:17:44 AM »
I wondered what ever came of this situation. Is it true the girl is suing?
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:55:50 AM »
This is interesting, but the student just sounds whiny about her own failings.  If she knew she was underqualified and would most likely been unable to perform well enough to rise out of the bottom 5% and/or pass the Colorado bar, she should have reconsidered her decision to go to law school.  CU seemed to have given her a great opportunity to go to a good law school, and it is likely that while she might have performed better at a lower quality law school that was more in-line with her qualifications, she would have still failed the bar.  I do not consider CU to be culpable in any way for her apparent inability to succeed. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
I agree CU had no culpability in the matter and doesn't have any obligation to inform her of her "chances of success" however i think the point she is trying to make is that she was not aware that she was unlikely to make it out of the bottom 5% and that CU should have made her aware.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:19:48 AM »
I agree CU had no culpability in the matter and doesn't have any obligation to inform her of her "chances of success" however i think the point she is trying to make is that she was not aware that she was unlikely to make it out of the bottom 5% and that CU should have made her aware.

Admittedly this is going to be quite simplistic on my part, but there is a certain level of self-awareness that is needed for someone to gauge their likely performance in law school (or any school or job).  I acknowledge that the law school should probably have provided better help to underperforming students, but her letter is just an echoing of her victimization and does not really get to the heart of the problem.  She was ultimately responsible for her own successes and failures, and should have been aware of her likely failure in law school based on her own past performance (and not just excluded to GPA and LSAT).
Yale.Law.School.2010

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:31:14 AM »
Right.  I agree with that.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
Doesn't it seem as if she's a shill for the Center for Individual Rights or something?  There's something very suspicious about all of this, especially the fact that she has all these concerns and refuses to meet with people who could do something about them. She also sounds completely out of her mind to me.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »
Doesn't it seem as if she's a shill for the Center for Individual Rights or something?  There's something very suspicious about all of this, especially the fact that she has all these concerns and refuses to meet with people who could do something about them.

Correct.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
i would gladly graduate from the bottom 5% of harvard's class.   ;D
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 10:59:31 PM »
I have a lot of respect for her.  Shes honest with herself.  She is not trying to be something it isn't, what I especially admire is that she feels bad about getting things she feels she doesn't deserve.  I think that shows thoughtfulness.  Most law students are conceited pricks, who when something goes wrong blame everybody but themselves.  Yeah it seems like she is blaming the school, but shes also acknowledging that she is over her head.  That takes a lot to confess up to, plus she fessed up to getting preferntial treatment.  To me those who are criticizing her are being a little snobish, we gave you this handout, you better be grateful, well shes not grateful, shes learned from the experience she would rather be herself, then be some artificial creation of others.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School