Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Washington merit-based grants?  (Read 476 times)

fakemark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Univ. of Washington merit-based grants?
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:15:12 PM »
Does anyone know what the scholarship situation is at the University of Washington? I know about the full-ride Gates PSL Scholarships. But when I was talking to someone about the school they thought that the school only had need-based aid. Is this true? If so, is that because their endowment is unusually small?

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Univ. of Washington merit-based grants?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
I don't know much about their merit aid except that UWashington does offer merit aid. I was offered 5k/yr.

1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

99balloons

• View Profile
Really?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 03:08:13 AM »
Did you send in the scholarship form?  In my acceptance packet, the form says that the scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need and some other fund-specific criteria.  Was your $5K awarded with your acceptance?

nanteiuga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:43:22 AM »

they only offered you 5k a year?  man, that's brutal... not even an out-of-state tuition waiver?  i was hoping to see a little money from them, but it doesn't sound too likely.  bummer.
ichiro: u of washington, michigan, texas, w&l($$)
shinjo: boalt
kaz matsui: u of hawaii, gulc, ucla, columbia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=daddyfatsacks

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Email today from UW Financial Aid.  Highlights:

(1) Invitation to submit "revision request for change of resources" and have my financial need evaluated 7/1/06 and forward, after I leave my relatively high-paying job.  Sweet.
(2) Accurate evaluation of my financial need "is important when evaluating you for need based financial aid such as Grants and Scholarships."
(3)  Financial aid packages will start to go out in early April.   

So, from this email, they give grants and scholarships as need based, they give them in April, and they are going to evaluate me with a taxable income of zero.  How cool is that! 

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Really?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 09:11:58 PM »
Did you send in the scholarship form?  In my acceptance packet, the form says that the scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need and some other fund-specific criteria.  Was your $5K awarded with your acceptance?

it came after the acceptance but b4 financial aid.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:23:21 PM »

they only offered you 5k a year?  man, that's brutal... not even an out-of-state tuition waiver?  i was hoping to see a little money from them, but it doesn't sound too likely.  bummer.

I'm hoping to get more $$ with fin aid. we'll see. By the way, they offered to fly me over for a few days to see the school. Is this a standard offer? I'm an east-coaster.

Also, don't base too much on my experiences. I'm only one data point... and probably an anomalous one.
1L