Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers - Newark  (Read 5679 times)

retrokast

• View Profile
Rutgers - Newark
« on: March 07, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »
Is anyone else going to Rutgers - Newark?  How does this school in regards to jobs coming out of school?

I received my acceptance letter yesterday.

Where do you live at in this area as well?

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers - Newark
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 12:14:22 PM »
I'm almost sure that I'll be going to Rutgers-Newark. My understanding is that it does a good job with job placement after graduation. You have to compete against all the NY schools though, including the ivy's to gain placement in the NYC. However, there's always NJ too. I've also heard that they do really well with judicial clerkships (although Rutgers-Camden is better known for this).

As for the living situation, I live no where near NJ so I have no clue. I'm also looking for insight on this. I'm actually thinking about living outside of Newark and just commuting in. I was told when I visited the school that a lot of the students actually do this.

Jtrich614

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Congrats on Rutgers-Newark! I was accepted to RU as well. I am more than likely going there as they are offering in-state tutition, work study, and various grants.

I am also waiting to hear feedback on those questions asked in the previous posts... :)

Gert B. Frobe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 03:10:37 PM »
Hoboken is the twenty-something spot.  It's about a twenty minute PATH ride from the college.  I would recommend living there over Newark unless you want to live in some type of campus housing.

Hearsay:  I've heard that Rutgers is a liberal law school and has a tough time competing with the "good ole boys" atmosphere at Seton Hall and some of the NYC schools when it comes to job placement. 

My thoughts:  Rutgers has a strong reputation in NJ and NY.  Job placement shouldn't be a problem if you do well in school.

For the record, I haven't attended Rutgers Law or any other law school as of yet.  It is on my list of schools though.  Also, I live in NJ.

dawn french

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »
I haven't heard back from about eight schools, but I feel pretty good about my Rutgers Newark acceptance.  The price and proximity to NYC can't be beat.  I am thinking about moving to Jersey City, as that's supposed to be an 'up and coming' neighborhood.  I'm also thinking about having a car.  Any thoughts?   ???

Jtrich614

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
Im in the same boat dawn :( but Rutgers was my first acceptance and it came fairly quickly. I have heard the same thing about Jersey City but im concerned about the rental prices, being so close to NYC. Im bringing my car if i decide to go to RU. I couldn't see myself without it!!!

Gert B. Frobe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 09:40:24 AM »
Parking in the North Jersey city areas is pretty brutal, but all of the people that I know of that live up there have their cars there.  I don't forsee it being too big of a problem. 

Jersey City isn't bad, but, again, I would recommend Hoboken.  As long as you can find a roommate, rent prices aren't too bad.  You could certainly find something for less than $800/mo if you shop around.

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »
Do you know of any small towns further west on I-78? I'm trying to look for an area that's less congested and has reasonable prices. I don't mind doing the commute to campus.

ds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »
Hoboken rent is pretty outrageous, even with a roommate. Jersey City isn't as bad, but there are certain areas where the rent is just as bad as Hoboken.

As for neighboring towns of Newark that are perfectly safe and you don't have to worry about - Bloomfield, Belleville, Nutley, Clifton. Towns across the Passaic river (but still extremely easy to get to Rutgers Newark from) - Kearny, North Arlington, Lyndhurst. All have reasonable rent unlike Hoboken and parts of Jersey City.

78 runs at the southern end of Newark, so those towns.. Union (which is a bit more urban than the following towns, but not like Newark), Springfield, New Providnce, Berkeley Heights, Scotch Plains.

These towns are a lot more "town'ish" than those I listed above. Every town I've listed is perfectly safe to live in, but the ones off 78 are more suburban, I suppose.

I don't know how much I'd recommend towns off of 78. I mean, they are nice and perfectly fine, but the morning commute, anywhere in North Jersey, is really terrible. Which is why I recommend any of the towns I listed earlier, as they're all local, and you don't even need to get on a highway to get to Newark, unless you wanted to.

RM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 09:10:52 AM »
I will be attending Rutgers-Newark as well. Not in NJ right now, but am looking. So far, the nicest place I have seen was Montclair. I am thinking about living in that area... possible Berkeley Heights, but have not visited there yet.

As far as commuting goes, I understand that the train system is a pretty good one. Perhaps it's worth it to look into that before finding an apartment.

Good luck everyone! I'm definately very excited :)