Law School Discussion

Pepperdine: Pros and Cons, can we make a concise list?

sarcastic1

• I've got the 1L blues
    • View Profile
Pepperdine: Pros and Cons, can we make a concise list?
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:51:36 AM »
Pros: Malibu, ADR program nationally ranked, housing like a beach resort, laid back atmosphere, congenial faculty
Cons: Expensive, Ken Starr, "religiously conservative"

Does anyone on here actually GO to Pepperdine?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I don't have many options, so don't tell me that USC or UCLA is better, I know; Pepperdine is the only Cali school I applied!

Re: Pepperdine: Pros and Cons, can we make a concise list?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 07:51:28 AM »
Well, since you know usc and ucla are better, you might want to add loyola to that mix.  Pepperdine is so far away from the main hiring area that it is hurt when it comes to jobs.  Some say southwestern is better than pepperdine as well.  So for the la region, pepperdine is easily 4th or 5th best.  Being that low on the totem pole doesnt sound so great to me, but hey, if its the only place that youre in, why not?

lily06

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:38:52 AM »
am I the only person that would NEVER live in Malibu? Nice place to visit, but I think I would go a little nuts going to school on the side of a cliff. lol. I like flat land.

In all seriousness, the campus is lovely with a CRAZY view.

The admin. people were really friendly and the students that I saw were smiling and seemed happy for law students. (Note: I am not applying because I decided that I couldn't live in the LA area, the traffic is too insane)

I would only consider it if I was doing their DR program.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:01:36 AM »
     I just got back from Pepperdine interviewing for the faculty scholars program and I must say I was incredibly impressed. I am almost entirely sure that I will be attending in the Fall though I will admit it is in part financially motivated (I will probably recieve a full scholarship plus a $5000 dollar stipend). As to some of the cons you mentioned however I would not consider Dean Starr a con, he really is not as conservative as you would imagine (I was able to speak to him at length) and he is an incredibly dynamic individual (and this is coming from someone who would describe themselves as fairly liberal).
     As far as religously conservative, I agree that the majority of the faculty are fairly religous but they in no way try to force this on the students nor are traditional protestant Christian students given any sort of special treatment. I met with Jewish, Mormon, Roman Catholic and non-theistic students, all of whom where enthusiatic about Pepperdine. I believe that Pepperdine, while still fairly low in the rankings, will soon see a dramatic increase in prestige. It is expensive admittedly but the campus is almost surreally beautiful.
     There are some cons admittedly such as a student body that may not be as motivated as that of a higher ranked school and I expect to have to work much harder post-graduation to prove my worth than if I go to Duke (my alternative choice). But for me the combination of a full scholarship, Malibu, and taking ownership in a school that has a mission to bring integrity to a vocation that is often characterized by its lack of integrity, makes it a fantastic option for me.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 10:41:26 AM »
Cons: From the Pepperdine grads I have spoken with, it is very hard to get a job coming out of Pepperdine. One of the people who told me this was class of '80 something. In fact this individual told me he was unable to choose what kind of law he wanted to practice - he practiced whatever type of law he could get a job in. He had the impression that the job market is very tough for law students and it seems that he got this idea because it was extremely hard for him to get a job. It's not that Pepperdine is a bad school (because it's not), it's just so isolated from LA, that Pepperdine grads are really at a disadvantage when it comes to getting internships and jobs. Also, Pepperdine doesn't do that well in other markets like SD or in Northern CA. So the best bet for a Pepperdine grad is to fight other LA law schools grads for jobs. And southwestern grads have an advantage due to the prime location of their school.

Also, Pepperdine is religious. One of the reps from Pepperdine spoke at the LA Law fair about how she was atheist and converted to Christianity after a year at Pepperdine. She is a current student there.

The rep was African American and she said that Pepperdine did not have a very diverse student body. That may be problematic for some people.

I don't know if Pepperdine has a speciality. If they do, I don't know what it is.

Pros: Beautiful school in a beautiful part of LA

It does have a good rep for being a good law school.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »
If you really look into pepperdine, you'll see that they are #1 in the nation in ADR and they have an amazing list of programs to take.  Look into something called the CETL, it seems really interesting.  And from now on, I would only take advice from people that actually go there.....

oh and the Big Law rep may not be excellent but their word of mouth rep is pretty good.  And if you want to start your own law firm, I'd say its a great place to go to school....

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 11:46:37 AM »
If you really look into pepperdine, you'll see that they are #1 in the nation in ADR and they have an amazing list of programs to take.  Look into something called the CETL, it seems really interesting.  And from now on, I would only take advice from people that actually go there.....

oh and the Big Law rep may not be excellent but their word of mouth rep is pretty good.  And if you want to start your own law firm, I'd say its a great place to go to school....

If you read my post at all, you would see that all the comments I made WERE from people who attended/are attending Pepperdine. I backed up everything I said with a source.

I dont't know why people get so defensive over Pepperdine....it's really weird...  ???

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 03:22:21 PM »
con:  southwestern (tier 3) has a better job placement
con:  lack of diversity, compared to UCLA, USC, Loyola, Southwestern
con:  ken starr
con:  rep lady at law school forum had stick up her ass

sarcastic1

• I've got the 1L blues
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:14:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The major factor for me right now is money...if I had a full ride, I would go in a heartbeat...but unfortunately I don't have the numbers to get a full ride anywhere.

It does have a good rep as being a good law school, and I am not necessarily interested in Biglaw. The diversity factor isn't a huge deal for me; I come from a very diverse area and I don't see it is an advantage or a disadvantage. Likewise, the religious aspect doesn't bother me either...I am middle of the road with my political views and am a practicing Catholic. I have no feelings about Ken Starr.

So...basically, it's probably a matter of what my other options end up being, money, and if I want to practice in the L.A. area? Something to think about a little more.

P.S. Go to Duke...I would kill to go there and N.C. rocks.

sarcastic1

• I've got the 1L blues
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 08:09:17 AM »
I thought of another con:

Traffic during the commute because the only place that is affordable to live is 25-30 minutes away. You can get a roommate and live closer, but it will still be $650-800 minimum (or so I have been told).

Living on campus is $5,499 per semester.