Law School Discussion

In at BU!

In at BU!
« on: March 06, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »
 THis is by far my best acceptance so far! (I think... this is better than UC Hastings right?) SO excited! (I know there's another thread but couldn't find it)

almuhajaba

Re: In at BU!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:45:29 PM »
Congrats!!! ;D

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »
Congrats Wowand! I received my acceptance letter today as well...  For those keeping score, it was a large white envelope with the regular school/city info inside.  Three legit choices now!  Whoohoo!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »
I'm in today too, phone call (I was in class and she left a message)...this is also my best acceptance so far, and gives me hope for USC and UCLA...

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »
thanks everyone  ;D but what do you guys think about BU vs. hastings? i live only an hour away from hastings and it's cheaper! So i'm trying to decide if BU is that much better than hastings as to make it worth going.

moonpie

• No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 04:16:59 PM »
BC/BU still seem like regional schools to me. I think the differential in prestige and opportunity from the schools are small enough that cost might be a deciding factor. I'm torn between USC and Hastings right now (stupid UCLA not getting back to me) and since I'm an hour from hastings too, the idea of living at home and graduating with around 30K in debt from hastings instead of 150K from USC is more appealing every day.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
yeah that is a hard decision. althuogh if you got into ucla you would go there right? also, from princeton reviews website it seems like there is a significant diff. in avg. starting salary b/t hastings and bu... but then again i dont know much about the cost of living in bosont vs. sf. do you?

moonpie

• No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »
Boston's median is higher(125k vs. 100k), but its 25th quartile in private practice is 50,000, and Hasting's is $66,000. It's hard for me to evaluate this since i'm generally leery of those reported figures, but the difference doesn't seem exceptional. Are you really completely indifferent between living in SF and Boston?

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »
 i think it would be cool to move far away. but i'm afraid i'll regret it, having all my friends and family here. the first time i went away to ucsb for ug and only lasted a year until i transfered to be closer to home. but i think i would be willing to move if it meant that much of a better school...

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 05:07:37 PM »
i think it would be cool to move far away. but i'm afraid i'll regret it,

You don't feel like if you don't move away for awhile you might regret that as well?  I have a similar situation as you in that U of Minn as a resident is much much cheaper than anywhere else I'd want to go...but I DO want to "move far away"  :)