Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a suit for law school, The Q and A thread.  (Read 3697 times)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a suit for law school, The Q and A thread.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 11:10:44 PM »
My admitted students invitation says "Business Attire" and I'm in Boston, won't that be suit and tie?

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 11:23:58 PM »
baff

Actual 1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 11:33:43 PM »
My admitted students invitation says "Business Attire" and I'm in Boston, won't that be suit and tie?

Maybe it is then, but that's rather odd.  I'd call and ask if they mean business casual or business professional.  I would be surprised if they expected people there in a suit for an admitted students day.

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 11:41:18 PM »

I got more specific sartorial advice from the Brooklyn Law Skadden admit recep: business attire to them means a shirt and tie are plenty, but a suit is okay too, they spell it out. Do not buy a suit for an admit event! I wore a shirt and tie (no jacket) to the cardozo admit recp. at Weil Gotshal, and I was not out of place at all. (Aside from the fact that I was in a corporate board room.)

I just want to add about this whole thread:
Yeeeeeearghhh! :o :o :o :o
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

Actual 1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 12:01:27 AM »

I got more specific sartorial advice from the Brooklyn Law Skadden admit recep: business attire to them means a shirt and tie are plenty, but a suit is okay too, they spell it out. Do not buy a suit for an admit event! I wore a shirt and tie (no jacket) to the cardozo admit recp. at Weil Gotshal, and I was not out of place at all. (Aside from the fact that I was in a corporate board room.)

I just want to add about this whole thread:
Yeeeeeearghhh! :o :o :o :o

Not a rip on you, but I just absolutely hate how a shirt and tie without a sportcoat looks.  I say go with a sportcoat and open collar shirt with no tie, if you do not want to wear a suit but want to be a little more dressed up than business casual.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 03:24:35 AM »
You'll probably need a suit 1st year if you do moot court.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 05:31:01 AM »
You'll probably need a suit 1st year if you do moot court.

Wow that would be impressive, moot court your first year...considering it is unheard of at any law school.  You will not need a suit your first year till the spring semester when you begin applying for jobs.  It is ABA policy not to even allow law students access to their schools career service office till november, and most students don't have time until winter break to even think of putting together a resume, cover letter, transcript and writing sample...all of which you will need for jobs.  So I wouldn't worry about it till after Christmas, worry about passing your exams first.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 06:33:33 AM »
I didn't say admitted students day, I said admitted students reception.... Which I probably should have clarified is at a Law Firm downtown. 

Would my light grey, contemporary suit be appropriate or should I stick to the old fashioned black with a white shirt?
Attending GW in Fall '06

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 09:19:03 AM »
You're not going to be going to court; live a little. Wear the lighter color.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 09:29:07 AM »
You're not going to be going to court; live a little. Wear the lighter color.

That was my plan, then I read this thread and started getting paranoid that if I wear my light gray suit and non-white shirt I will stand out like a sore thumb in a firm full of black on white lol.
Attending GW in Fall '06