Poll

For those who went...

Loved it  ;D
Liked it  :)
it was alright  :-\
Disliked it  :(
Hated it  >:(
I didn't go but just wanted to vote  :D

Author Topic: CLS Admit Days  (Read 590 times)

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
CLS Admit Days
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:21:27 AM »
So...I don't really have the time to write a long, all-inclusive post about the events, but if anyone has questions ask them here.  As an ED admit who's researched the school a lot I think I'm probably the next best thing to asking a current student.       

Slow Blues

Re: CLS Admit Days
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 09:24:38 AM »
More free stuff, like maybe a t-shirt, wouldn't have killed anyone.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:45:39 AM »
Could you post specifics on student life at CLS?  How expensive is the housing, what facilities are available exclusively to law students (ie: gym facilities, etc), and is there a dining facility exclusively for law students? 
Yale.Law.School.2010

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:27:39 AM »
More free stuff, like maybe a t-shirt, wouldn't have killed anyone.

This is true.  But, did you stay long enough to get the CLS leather folder and the Columbia guide to NYC?  I'm sure the latter wouldn't mean much to you as a New Yorker already, but I thought it was great.

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:47:55 AM »
Could you post specifics on student life at CLS?  How expensive is the housing, what facilities are available exclusively to law students (ie: gym facilities, etc), and is there a dining facility exclusively for law students? 

Housing

The housing I saw was all pretty nice.  Lenfest, the law students only building, was the nicest, but also the most expensive.  A studio there will run you about 1450/month.  The other housing I saw was UAH housing (all grad students) and it wasn't as new or nice, but it was decent and way cheaper.  I saw a 3 br share for about 900/month and a 2 br (unfurnished) for about 800/month.  The insider's advice from the students was to go for the unfurnished housing with UAH and you can pay rent as cheap as 750-800/month.  Not a bad deal.

Facilities

The facilities exclusively for law students include everything in the main law building (Jerome Greene Hall), where even if closed you can have access to using your id card.  The classrooms were extremely nice and had outlets and ethernet plug ins at every seat.  Also, the bigger classrooms had nifty microphones at every seat.  There is a another building (W and J Warren Hall) that the LS shares with the B-School.  In addition, the students did mention the library isn't always open, but that's not a big deal because there are many other places to study (lounges, etc.).  There is a cafe in the main building, where students seem to hang out in.  In terms of food though, it seems as most students do there own thing, whether that be cook or any other options. I don't think there is a meal plan.  Also, there is no gym specifically for law students just the UG gym, but the fees for it are part of your tuition, so one plus is that you don't have to pay separately.  The gym is not really that nice, but it does have everything you would need in it.

Student Life

Honestly, most of the students I talked to were pretty laid back and said they usually go out at least 1 night a week.  I was actually very surprised at how laid back many of them were.  I don't really think they were putting on a show either because I hung out with some of them later on and they were the same way.  The alcohol was overflowing over the course of the days and the current students did not hesitate one bit to take advantage of this.  There obviously were some students I talked to who it was obvious did not go out as much, but they were fiercely intellectual individuals who I would not mind being around even if they were less laid back.  It did seem as if most were going corporate, but thats no different than any other top law school (except maybe yale). I think CLS has a great atmosphere in general. 

Any more questions?

LindsayJS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:36:57 PM »
I have a question - did it seem like the majority of the 1L students lived in university housing and hung out/studied, etc in the area immediately surrounding CLS?  Basically if I wanted to live off campus somewhere on the UWS would that pose a problem with socializing and study groups?

And is there anything besides the prestige/rank factor that stands out to you as a defining reason why you chose CLS?

Slow Blues

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 07:58:19 PM »
Um, it seemed like the majority did live in university housing. On paper it seems pricey, but when you get familiar with Manhattan, you realize the housing is a decent deal. I don't think commuting from the Upper West Side would be a problem; the only potential issue is if you have a take-home exam. You'd probably end up doing the exam in the library or something, unless perhaps you took a taxi to your apartment and back again. Otherwise, I don't think you'd be an outsider there.

I can't speak for others, but the reason I chose CLS was because it's great for corporate law. 

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:03:55 PM »
I have a question - did it seem like the majority of the 1L students lived in university housing and hung out/studied, etc in the area immediately surrounding CLS?  Basically if I wanted to live off campus somewhere on the UWS would that pose a problem with socializing and study groups?

The majority of CLS students do live in campus housing.  Convienence plus the fact that its subsidized as well as guaranteed make it a very good deal.  I don't think it would pose a problem at all if you were still living in the UWS in terms of socializing/study groups.  Its not too far.  Also, I think it would even be fine if you lived somewhere else in the city outside of UWS or Morningside heights because the great thing about the NYC location is that you can do your own thing if you want (according to some students).

And is there anything besides the prestige/rank factor that stands out to you as a defining reason why you chose CLS?

My decision was a combination of location and prestige.  The NYC location can't be beat.  Its the best school in the best location, IMO.  Of course, one could say NYU's location is better, but I just think the prestige difference btw Columbia and NYU is too big outside of law circles to choose NYU over it.  Just MHO.