Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: other schools national besides t14?  (Read 3669 times)

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: other schools national besides t14?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »
Why do people go to prestigious firms anyways?  They don't pay that much more comparing to a less prestigious firm.  Does it help the person make partner at a lower ranked firm later on?

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 07:45:35 PM »
Pretty much. 

Lots of people do a few years at a big firm, then go to a smaller firm.  I've seen this is especially true with insurance defense.  Most big firms have some type of insurance defense division.  Lots of attorneys do two or three years of insurance defense.  Once they've learned the ropes, they leave BIGLAW and go to a small PLAINTIFF-side firm.  They switch sides.  Why?  There's more money on the other side.  I have seen this dozens of times.

Moving away from this specific practice area, the pattern holds true.  Many attorneys leave big firms after a few years and either start their own firm or join a smaller firm.  They'll have a much easier time of making partner.  Also, they'll make much more money.  I know firms in NYC with 10 attorneys... 5 of them are partners...  if you stay at that firm, you'll probably be a partner in the forseeable future.  If you stay at Cravath... you really don't have good odds of being partner.  You could wind up in the dreaded black hole of 'of counsel'. 

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 11:50:20 PM »
JD, I hate to bug you or hijack the thread, but what is the general consensus about IU-Bloomington?

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 11:57:15 PM »
Dude, thats not hijacking the thread.  This thread isn't mine.  I'm not territorial.  Its all good.

IUB has not really come up.  I've actually never spoke with anyone who went to IUB, or asked any attorneys about their opinion regarding IUB.  So I don't want to talk trash about the school when I really have no idea how it is regarded.  My gut instinct is that IUB is a great school if you want to stay in Indiana or nearby.  I'm pretty sure that at least some of the big Chicago firms recruit on campus, or, have resume drops.

BrianD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 12:08:24 AM »
Now I'm going to be the guy cementing this thread into a "Let's ask JD about schools"...but I was curious what your experience is with Tulane, Emory and Illinois outside of their respective states, and particularily on the east coast (DC through Boston)? Thanks a bunch.

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 12:25:19 AM »
Tulane is one of those schools that does way better than its ranking would suggest.  Everyone in the south knows that Tulane is a great law school, and lots of people in the northeast have made comments to suggest that they view Tulane very favorably.  I've actually asked lawyers about going to Tulane over some higher ranked schools (UNC, Vandy, Notre Dame, maybe George Washington).  Apparently, there are lots of attorneys who consider Tulane to be on the same level as all of these schools (with the exception of Vandy, maybe).

Emory grads can do very well in NYC, DC, Philly.  Actually, many people regard Emory as a school for kids who do not want to stay in GA and practice. Not entirely true, because nearly half do stay in-state.  BUT still.. most of those kids who know they want to stay in Georgia just go to UGA.  Several big firms from NYC, DC, Philly, Houston... interview on campus at Emory.  Dozens of firms have connections with Emory for off-campus recruiting (on-site at the firm for an interview, or at a recruiting event).  Even Skadden shows up at Emory's NYC recruiting forum. As far as I can tell, Emory is well-regarded on the east coast. 

My experience is not necessarily the best measure for the following reasons:   

I can ask lawyers what they think about schools all day long.  As such, the best information that I can offer is regarding how lawyers and law firms view specific schools.  The bulk of the firms that I work with are in the eastern half of the country. 

When it comes to actually placing people, I'm placing people who generally have 2+ years of experience as an attorney.  That gives me some idea of how schools place, but doesn't say anything for how well those schools place their grads straight out of law school... and this is probably the biggest question on most peoples minds.

I only have a year of experience doing this, so I'm not really the best source of info. 

nanteiuga

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 12:55:16 AM »

JD- thanks for all the great info!!
ichiro: u of washington, michigan, texas, w&l($$)
shinjo: boalt
kaz matsui: u of hawaii, gulc, ucla, columbia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=daddyfatsacks

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 01:20:13 AM »
I just want to repeat that I'm not like a hardcore vetran headhunter.  I've only done this for one year.  And I don't really deal with many people who are straight out of law school... so my perspective is not the greatest.  Don't entirely trust me.  I second the advice given earlier --- best thing to do is talk to lawyers in the location where you want to practice.  The other good thing to do is to look at the recruiting lists for the schools that you're considering: see who recruits on campus, see who has resume drops, find out if the school has recruiting events in the major cities.  Some schools keep all of this information on their career services websites; others don't.  Not surprisingly, the better the school, the more likely they are to have a jacked up career services website with lots of statistics on placement, recruitment events, etc.  Good luck.

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 01:28:16 AM »
jd:  thanks man

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 09:59:26 AM »
JD - As a fellow W&L app (and accepted app - congrats), I assume you think that W&L is at least decently regarded by firms?  Or did you apply because, like me, you'd like to get into a judicial (or other non big law) track?  Does the small class size mean that less people have heard of W&L?  I'm 80% set on going there even if I get into another school, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say.  No need to qualify - I value your year of headhunting experience far more than most of the other bloviating on this site.  Thanks.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .