Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Prep Class?  (Read 1953 times)

Jen

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Law Prep Class?
« on: April 09, 2002, 07:32:24 AM »
Is anyone going to a law prep class, offered either by Law Preview or by Bar/Bri?  I wonder if its worth $1000+ for the one week class?  Any thoughts?

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Law Prep Class?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2002, 04:15:30 PM »
In retrospect - I would say that LSAT classes are probably worth the money because your improved score correlates to an improved scholarship.  I doubt that the same is true with those law school prep classes.  I'm sure it will be helpful, but remember, you're not graded on how well you do in law school - you're graded on how well you do on exams.  If I was going to take any class I would take an exam prep class (they have these, they're around $100 for one day).

Then again, I've never taken any prep classes, so maybe I'm not one to talk.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

Oh by the way:  I did read prep book "How to succeed in law school" which is linked from the books page.  I found this helpful - probably the same sort of stuff they'll tell you in a prep class - how to write a case brief, outline, etc.

me too

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2002, 07:56:14 AM »
A professor at Tulane, Prof. Gary Roberts, gave me the following advice: "And here's a faculty perspective: Students should not feel it is necessary to take any of the law school prep courses available or that they will be at a disadvantage if they don't, since we operate on the premise that students coming to law school do not have any prior training or experience in the field."  

Tulane has a board just like this one, in which students, faculty, etc, can post messages just like this one especially for admitted students.  I asked the same question and I got that response and this one from Admissions: "This question came up last year, too. I was able to identify three students in our entire student body who had attended this program. One student felt it was worthwhile, another thought that it wasn't as worthwhile as it should have been for the money, and another felt the first day or two was extremely valuable, but that the remainder of the program was not."

Hope it helps you out, I decided not to take the course but obtained the book "how to succed in law school" for free at my local library.  ;)

Jen

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2002, 10:32:17 AM »

Thanks for the advice!  I've heard mixed things about it too. Some say it was great, others say it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't think about twice if it wasn't so expensive - but for $1000+ I want to be sure it'll be worth it!!

I will defenitely buy the book - sounds like its very useful!

noora

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 05:42:09 PM »
hey there
   i've been seriously thinking about taking a course...the way i see it is this :  if i'm already spending almost 100K on this education, what's one more if it will help me?  so has anyone out there actually taken it that can give us a true sense of it and its worth?  i have also just bought "how to succeed in law school" today!  any parts i should pay particular attention to?  any other good books out there that someone can recommend?  thanks!

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 06:31:58 PM »
During our review session last week, my property professor (Lawson) mentioned that he taught at one of those classes.  (He was noting that the review session would be 'question and answer' - not an overview, because an overview couldn't be done in two hours.)  Hearing him say that he actually covers substantive law at the class made me rethink the value of the class a little.  I was under the impression those classes were more about study strategy.  Looking back now, it might have been useful to have an overview of the first year classes to get a foundation, as this would enable one to see the "big picture" sooner, and better understand how the details relate.

This is a long winded way of saying that there might be more value to those classes than I originally thought.

I doubt I would take one though.  I hear what noora is saying about the minimal percentage cost based on the whole package (the law school education that is), but I think I'd rather get a foosball table if I had the extra $1k.

baygirl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 11:13:42 AM »
I am enrolled in a Bar/Bri course this summer for July sometime. I donít know first hand yet how good it is, but this is why I decided to try it.

My mother is an attorney and during law school she did ok, but not great. She majored in engineering at Berkley and did really well, so itís not for lack of smarts. After law school she took a bar review course (many of the pre-law classes are offered by companies that do both that and bar review). She said it was the first feedback she had gotten in 3 years and immediately improved and passed the California Bar in one try.

Most law schools have one final and thatís it and you donít get them back, you just get a grade. The class I will take goes through the test with you. I agree that the testing portion is the most valuable, but I am taking the whole week for about $1,300. Its worth it for me because I learn better if I have an overview or outline I understand first. Some people donít work that way, so I would say that is an individual choice.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I would recommend ďLaw School ConfidentialĒ by Robert H. Miller. Very easy read and a compilation of recent grads advice.