Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings rankings over the years....why the drop?  (Read 3775 times)

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
Hastings rankings over the years....why the drop?
« on: March 05, 2006, 04:09:16 PM »
So it seems like Hastings still has an amazing rep in cali (lots say even better than Davis, despite the lower ranking), but why in the world did their rankings plummet so much over the span of the USNEWS rankings?   They started off so high and then dropped, what is the reason?    It seems like between 1994 and 1995 is where it all happened....did all the professors leave simultaneously that year or what?

1991 20
1992 19
1993 23
1994 20
1995 45
1996 45
1997 Not top 50!
1998 41
1999 29
2000 32
2001 36
2002 40
2003 37
2004 38
2005 39
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

ScienceAndLaw

• View Profile
Re: Hastings rankings over the years....why the drop?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 05:10:39 PM »
I think I read something like they didn't submit some information that US News wanted, and thus they dropped big time.  Then, the next few years less high quality applicants applied because of the lower ranking.  Its like a negative feeback loop: US News ranks school lower -> less good applicants the following year -> US News ranks you lower -> ...

The Professor of Parody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

HastingsVsUSC

• View Profile
Re: Hastings rankings over the years....why the drop?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »
New Dean willl make a difference.

Dean Newton has strong ties to UC Hastings. ;D After graduating from University of California at Berkeley in 1973, she attended UC Hastings College of the Law and graduated (Order of the Coif) in 1976.  :D She returned to Hastings as a Visiting Professor for the school year 1994-95.

Current
Mary Kay Kane  She attended the University of Michigan where she received a B.A. degree in English and a J.D. in law in 1971. :(  She came to Hastings in 1977. :'(  She served as Associate Academic Dean from 1980-82, as Acting Academic Dean during the 1987-88 academic year, as Academic Dean from 1990-93, and has been Dean since December 1993.  >:( She has been a visiting professor at the University of Michigan, the University of Texas at Austin, and Boalt Hall.

From Leiter

Like many large, state law schools, Hastings has been treated badly by U.S. News; probably only Wisconsin has fared as badly at the hands of the U.S. News criteria that reward a school for being small and private. U.S. News to the side, I've often heard folks remark that Hastings is an underperforming law school; when you consider that it's part of the prestigious University of California system, and located in one of the three great American cities (the other two being, of course, New York and Chicago), surely it should be unambiguously top 20 or better?

Could Hastings accomplish what NYU did in the 1990s, i.e., exploit its location to recruit a first-rate interdisciplinary faculty? That must surely be one of the challenges facing Dean Newton as she takes the helm. As Dean Newton remarked: "I am excited about the opportunity to lead Hastings as it secures its place as one of the best law schools in the country." Many in the legal academy will watch with interest.