Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: practicing in california with an out-of-state degree?  (Read 418 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
practicing in california with an out-of-state degree?
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:54:42 PM »
after much thought, i've pretty much decided i want to practice in california after i get my JD. however, after my boalt waitlist this week (and assuming a stanford rejection is in the works), do people think i will have better career prospects with a university of chicago degree (probably my best acceptance to date) than hastings or davis (both of which i've been accepted to)? i'm thinking this is probably the smartest decision, even though it entails leaving the state for school, because of the significant difference in prestige.

also, is there anything i can do at this point to improve my boalt possibilities? a letter expressing that they're my top choice? i'm a 3.96/168, cali resident. has anyone here been admitted off the waitlist and if so, did you do anything extra?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: practicing in california with an out-of-state degree?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:12:11 PM »
You'll probably do fine with a school like Chicago. Hastings and Davis place more in Cali but only due to self-selection. Chicago and other similar schools are just much more national than a school like Davis.

pandabones

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »
I'm long-term California bound and I am pretty close to picking Chicago (assuming Harvard and Yale dings).  I don't think we will have trouble finding jobs, especially since we have CA undergrad degrees.  CA placement is the main question I'm going to be asking people during Chicago's admit weekend, so hopefully I will be able to further justify my choice.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 10:27:46 PM »
i dont see why you would have a problem.

the only thing that MIGHT make CA more difficult to go to than other states is b/c they have Stanford and Berkeley saturating the north and USC and UCLA saturating the south.

Chicago is a great school tho- so my guess is you can go to CA just fine, maybe just a little more difficult than some other states.

Hastingvsusc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:58:48 PM »
I found this.  Ca schools are tough.

Quote: >:(

My co-worker was talking to me about law school and stuff, and she said her daughter is working relaly hard studying for the LSAT to raise her score from 172 to 175 to get into UCLA...even though she has a 3.6 at Berk. Her husband, who is responsible for choosing this ridiculous score, is a professor at a large state univ (in socal) who would seem to be in the know about these sorts of things. when i showed her that the 75th %ile at HYS is 174-175ish and that a 168 pretty much guarantees UCLA, she was so shocked. just more anecdotal evidence that may bolster the argument that UCLA>7-14 for LA.

flydog

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:32:15 PM »
Why didnt you apply to Loyola or Pepperdine? Davis and Hastings are great schools and i think any of those 4 would get you further locally than an out of state school. California has lots of great law schools, and a lot of local talent to hire from so anyone out of state is going to have to overcome a big hurdle.

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 11:46:57 PM »
You didn't apply to USC or UCLA? 

Chicago packs a big punch and many would even argue it'd be a better choice than Boalt (I'm not one of those people, but...)  If you decide to go with Davis or Hastings for personal reasons that's one thing, but career-wise, Chicago is the clear choice.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »
While I certainly think you can find a job in CA with a U of Chicago degree, it just might mean a little more work (I know, typical answer).   But, as richdogg said, you gain valuable connections at law school.  Things like summer jobs (which can lead to later positions) or your best friend at law schol's dad who owns a firm, etc., It is easier to get things rolling when it is for the same state you go to law school.   If you go to Chicago, you could always spend your summers in CA, working up connections, but then you have to worry about subletting your apartment, finding a new one for 2 months, etc.

I have no idea where I want to practice and might travel to a different state than where my law school is, so I shouldn't talk.   If you are 100% positive you want to work in Northern Cali, I would say go with Davis or Hastings....if you have any doubt, go to U of Chicago....It is a great school and it will give you tons of mobility (plus, I might go to one of those cali schools and I don't want you ruining the curve  :D )
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 03:40:20 PM »
thanks for the advice everyone...i'm not entirely sure about my post-law school plans, and chicago (in general) has much stronger career prospects than hastings or davis, so i'll probably go there. but maybe stanford or boalt will feel generous and solve my problem for me  ;D

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 05:41:32 PM »
I plan on practicing in Los Angeles but I will be attending Notre Dame.  While it will be difficult, i'm sure, to enter the California/LA market, i'm hoping the prestige and alumni connections from Notre Dame bump my standing up.