Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: full scholarship or better school without scholarship?  (Read 2425 times)

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
full scholarship or better school without scholarship?
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:42:42 PM »
Quote from: pinkybella on February 23, 2006, 12:29:41 PM

Also, if you go to TJ with any type of scholarship and you end up in the top 5% of the class and you want to transfer to a better school, you have to pay back your scholarship.

So if you go to TJ, with a scholarship & hopes of transfering to a better school, be careful. It may end up costing you..... end quote.
 :o

Does anyone know if you have to pay back Whittier if you have a scholarship and want to transfer?  It was my understanding that you don't.

Also - any opinion on which school to accept if it's between:

1)  100% scholarship to Whittier

or...

2)  Pepperdine, without any scholarship

Thanks!
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: full scholarship or better school without scholarship?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 08:28:48 PM »
i have a really smart friend who started school at a "top school." it will remain nameless because i want it to be...anyway, she went there for a semester and hated it. she left.

she reapplied and decided on the school that she originally had her "heart" set on and she's happier and she's doing exactly what she wanted to do.

long story short: you decide your destiny. if you want to decide on a nearly debt-free, right out of LS existance, then i say go for it. also, remember that you won't need to worry about $$$ during LS as much, so you can concentrate on your studies as well...

the more money you earn, the more money you spend....it's all just stuff anyway.

i'm probably the wrong person responding because i can honestly care less about "stuff."

when it all boils down to it, people decide on the "higher-ranked magazine school" because they think they can make more $$$$.

sounds like you've gotten in to solid schools that will take you far.  hey nixon went to whittier (not that i'd brag about that too loudly).

best of wishes deciding. & congrats on the acceptances.

i say, VISIT each school and you'll know in a heart beat...

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »
isn't whittier on aba probabtion?  Have you looked into what will happen (as a law student and future attorney) if they loose their accredidation during your time in law school?  That might be a good starting place to think about where you should go.

If it were me, pepperdine, no question.

Best of luck!

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 04:15:09 PM »
Quote from: pinkybella on February 23, 2006, 12:29:41 PM

Also, if you go to TJ with any type of scholarship and you end up in the top 5% of the class and you want to transfer to a better school, you have to pay back your scholarship.

So if you go to TJ, with a scholarship & hopes of transfering to a better school, be careful. It may end up costing you..... end quote.
 :o

Does anyone know if you have to pay back Whittier if you have a scholarship and want to transfer?  It was my understanding that you don't.

Also - any opinion on which school to accept if it's between:

1)  100% scholarship to Whittier

or...

2)  Pepperdine, without any scholarship

Thanks!

I'm facing a similar situation (Alabama and Baylor have offered full tuition scholarships, and I've gotten into Vandy with no scholarship offer as of yet) so all I can really tell you are three things:

1.  Go where you really want to go.  From what I've heard from lawyers, reputation matters a lot only immediately out of law school (i.e., when you have no case record to go on.)  Down the road it's not going to be that big of a deal.  I don't know whether that's true or not, but it's what I've heard.
2.  I'm assuming from the law schools you're looking at that you want to stay in SoCal, so ask around with some people and see which of the two is held in better esteem in the LA area.  You could be surprised.
3.  Is the scholarship guaranteed?  If not, you might want to think twice about taking it.  From what I've heard, a lot of people lose scholarships after their first year, so you might end up paying for Whittier the second and third years.  Staying in the top 25% of your class, or keeping X gpa, is harder than it sounds.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 06:12:06 PM »
Pepperdine

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 06:15:09 PM »
Def. Pepperdine
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 06:41:04 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments!  Very helpful.  I agree, it's easy to lose the scholarship after the first year - regardless of where you go. The other thing is that Pepperdine had about 220 employers come to visit the campus, and Whittier had 10.  Professors at both schools are top notch - but I just think I may be limiting my options (not just monetarily) by going to a school that everyone knows is on ABA probabtion.  I got a 80% scholarship to Chapman, which is a great up and coming school I hear... but I think I'll go with Pepperdine sans scholarship....unless miracle, of miracles I get into UCLA... Supposedly they only take about 25 out of close to 600 applicants for their public interest program.  Anyone gotten into that program that you know of???  Drool...

Thanks again!
 :-*
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »
pepperdine

if it was another school besides whittier and could understand giving some thought to making the decision; but whittier is on probation, you do not want to mess with that.

joespecial

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 01:03:22 AM »
I think pretty much everyone deals with this question, because the lower-ranked schools where you are at the 75th percentile will give you $$, and the high ranked school where you just squeak in will not.

I always consider 5 years after law school when I decide I hate my job and hate my firm and want to get a new job. Which school on my resume is going to open doors? If you choose the lower-ranked school, you will have saved money, but you are going to have to knock on more doors when the time comes, maybe a lot more.

bobcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 11:12:43 PM »
Bonkers: I wonder if, 5 years from now, most local employers will care where you went to school, if you have a good track record in your career.  5 years will give you time to build up a decent resume that might be able to overcome having gone to a lower-ranked school.

That said, I would ask a couple of additional questions before I offer my advice.  As mentioned, what is your scholarship offer?  If it's contingent on X GPA or Y class ranking, I wouldn't put as much importance on it.  But if it's like the one that I got from Illinois, that simply requires "good academic standing" (i.e. don't flunk out), I would consider that to be (essentially) guaranteed money.  I would also consider what Whittier's ABA status is, and where it seems likely to go.  Why are they on probation?  And have they taken steps that are likely to remedy that? 

Another question: how do you feel about the conservative Christian atmosphere at Pepperdine?  Will it bother you?  I know it would bother me a lot, but that other people love it, and others are impartial.  You don't want to end up anywhere where you'll be unhappy.

Now, I'll offer my advice.  All things being equal, I'd take Pepperdine.
Accepted: Arizona State, DePaul ($$), Illinois ($$), Indiana-Bloomington, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Arizona
Rejected: Utah

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bdoxey