Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers-Newark vs. Drexel  (Read 3079 times)

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rutgers-Newark vs. Drexel
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 12:21:43 PM »
I ended up choosing RU-N. While I was really impressed by Drexel in a lot of ways, I didn't feel comfortable pinning myself in there. I'm not from the east coast so one of my major concerns was my ability to transfer my credits to another law school if I wasn't happy out there. I don't necessarily mean transferring up either, just that if it turns out the east isn't for me I'd like to have not completely wasted my time and money. Also, the areas of Drexel's focus didn't really appeal to me and I liked my post-degree prospects a little more at Rutgers. Ultimately, I think I preferred Drexel because of thier location, their novelty, and their enthusiasm. However, I decided that those probably weren't the best reasons for me to choose a law school.
I'd also like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. You gave me a lot to think about and helped me to mull out the thoughts I was having on my own. That all aided in making my decision.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 01:32:01 PM »
on Newark:

A couple of people in the thread mentioned how Newark sucks, so I thought I'd chime in. I worked in Newark for 5 years, in University Heights and really enjoyed it.

It is true that Newark is one of the rougher American cities you are likely to come across, however, this does not mean that you are shot on sight, it just means that you have to mind yourself a little more than you might in other places (although I've seen some pretty bad stuff in Philly too).

As far as nightlife and restaurants, there are plenty. There is a neighborhood called The Ironbound which has one of the largest Portugese populations outside of Portugal. There are numerous top notch yet affordable portugese restaurants in the area to check out. There are also a lot of festivals in that area during the summer. Also, for the best hamburger anywhere, check out McGovern's over by New St, where the Rutgers-Newark campus is (the law school is off campus, and much nicer looking than the campus).

Newark has a very large and beautiful park, called Branch Brook park. Newark has more Cherry trees than D.C. (a place with a lot of cherry trees) and every year they have a cherry blossum festival. If you happen to be in town around May, take a drive through Branch Brook park.

Sopranos fans across the country will find places that look awfully familiar. You'll see guys walking around who look like Paulie all the time.

There are tons of law firms in Newark. Newark is the largest city in New Jersey, a state with a lot of people, and a lot of money, so it stands to reason that you won't have a hard time finding places to work.

It is only fair to mention: if you are not comfortable in areas that are not 99% white people, you are not going to like Newark. I'm not saying that this is why people don't like it, but I would be foolish to think that it does not affect people's thinking unconsciously.

All in all, Newark would be a fine place to go to school. Then again, Philly is nice too.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 10:17:30 AM »
congrats on both of your decisions, and good luck!  buslaw, where in philly will you be living?

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:51 PM »
I decided to live in University City. Center City is a 5 minute walk away and I'm close to campus. Plus, I brought up my car and it's really expensive to have your car in Center City.