Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone with info on University at Buffalo?  (Read 353 times)

GwenK

• View Profile
Anyone with info on University at Buffalo?
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has received word from UB and can fill me in on how long the process ususally takes. I only sent my app in a couple weeks ago.

Also, has anyone met with Dean Wiley-Upshaw or the dir. of recruitment? I have a tour this week and would love to hear any advice.

Saphyrva

Re: Anyone with info on University at Buffalo?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 03:09:56 PM »
They took about a month to make a decision on my application, if that helps.  Pretty quick.  When is your tour?  Is it a group thing, or did you arrange it just for you?  I haven't met with anyone from the law school yet, but have an appointment next week with someone from the Baldy Center (joint programs).  Good luck!

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 03:15:37 PM »
Congrats on getting in. How did they notify you and what size was the envelope!

As for me, I am sitting in on a class, taking a group tour and meeting alone with the dir. of recruitment and the Dean.

I'm a non-trad student with 14 yrs WE - but didn't do as well as I wanted on the LSAT.

Saphyrva

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 03:20:15 PM »
The envelope was large and white.  Filled with lots of materials on housing, financial aid, career services, etc.  Are you from around here?  I think UB likes non-traditional students, so don't give up hope!  They take quite a few low LSAT scores as well, according to the students I have spoken to.  Experience seems to mean more to them than stats.  Although they are important, as with any law school.  Unfortunately... =)

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:26:38 PM »
Thanks very much, I'm in the lower 150's, so I'm within the average range. Also, I think my masters GPA 3.7 will help offset a lower UGPA from 15 years ago.

I actually grew up in Buffalo, went to Canisius. Then, I moved away and over the years ended up in Rochester. Now, I live there with my hubby and work at a local company.

Saphyrva

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »
It sounds to me like you definitely have a good chance of acceptance with a score in the low 150's, combined with a master's and tons of work and life experience.  Are you planning on commuting from Rochester if you attend UB? 

GwenK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »
Yes, I definitely commute. BUT, for the past three years I've been commuting each week to Toronto to work, so one hour vs. three will be a nice change. Plus, my mom and other family still live in the area - so there's plenty of places to crash, if needed.

Are you from Bflo too? Or, did you just go to school there?

Saphyrva

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »
Yes, I am from Lewiston (about 30 minutes from Buffalo).  I grew up here, left to do my undergrad in NYC, and then came back.  I still haven't decided if I will be staying for law school, though.  Well, if you have any more questions about UB that I can help with, let me know!