Law School Discussion

help me decide

help me decide
« on: March 04, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »
I know that I want to work in NC, SC, Florida, or Georgia, but I'd like some advice as to where to go.  The three schools I'm considering right now are IU-Bloomington, UF, FSU, and UNC.  It seems like UNC would be my best option, but I am out-of-state so the tuition would be like $24k a year.  At UF I would get in-state tuition the last 2 years, but it doesn't seem to have much pull outside of Florida, and I'm not sure that's where I want to end up.  IUB places primarily in the midwest, but I'm in-state and have a $3k a year scholarship so the tuition would only be a little over $10k a year.  It's definitely the cheapest, but I'm worried that I'll have difficulty finding a job in the South.  Does anyone have any advice?  Right now I'm leaning towards UNC, but the tuition makes me a little hesitant.  Vanderbilt seems like it would be a good option for me, but I was waitlisted so it's unlikely that I'll get in.

Re: help me decide
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »
Sounds to me like UNC is the place for you. If you're paying full at UF for the first year, it's not all that much of a money difference at the end with the increased number of placement options UNC may give you. Do you have an absolute guarantee of residency in FL after a year? I would look into it. I know that in TX, it is a year of work with no school.

All in all, I'd say keep your ears peeled for Vandy but plan on UNC. Maybe take a visit if you're unsure.

Congrats either way, you have options!

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: help me decide
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:37:46 PM »
I am in Georgia and work with trial lawyers.  UF will place just fine in a Georgia firm.  UGA is better for Georgia, of course, but UF will work fine here. They also seem to have an amazing trial advocacy program, if that is what you are interested in.

That said, I went there for UG and Gainsville sucks.