Law School Discussion

'Cuse law vs. entry level Merrill Lynch?

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Cuse law vs. entry level Merrill Lynch?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 08:50:20 AM »
I think you should go to work.  The first and only thing you say about 'Cuse is how much debt you'd have and how much you could make when you graduate.  It doesn't sound like you're all fired up for law school.  A decision for a career in law shouldn't be based on financial reasons - there are too many lawyers who hate there jobs.  Do it because you want to do it.  If you're not sure, take the job - there will always be time for law school later if you decide that's what you want to do.  Work experience is good for a lot of reasons, the least of which is that it looks good on a law school application. 

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 09:16:18 AM »
The way I see it is that you can always bail out of being a FA and go back to law school, but you can't do the same with a law degree and $150K worth of debts.  Getting work experience (for the most part) can only make you a more attractive applicant for law school, especially if your grades/LSAT are not spectacular. 

law123

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 09:21:38 AM »
Geoff:
  I am also seriously debating whether to go to cuse...you mentioned that they have offered you no money; did you apply for need-based grants?  The priority deadline was Feb.15 and I think we are supposed to be hearing about them pretty soon.  According to US News, 80% of of their students receive grants and the median grant is $8,000.  Syracuse is still ridiculously expensive, but if USNEws is correct it looks like they are somewhat generous with need-based grants.