Law School Discussion

2 addendums a bad idea?

Skeptic

• I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
2 addendums a bad idea?
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:02:08 PM »
well one is about how i had to work throughout college to support my family that took a toll on my gpa

the other; on a six 6 point higher lsat score..which im still comtemplating on whether to send (i went complete at most schools this week)

what do guys think? a NAY on the lsat addendum?  am i asking for too much?

Jaustin

• I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2 addendums a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:55:47 PM »
well one is about how i had to work throughout college to support my family that took a toll on my gpa

the other; on a six 6 point higher lsat score..which im still comtemplating on whether to send (i went complete at most schools this week)

what do guys think? a NAY on the lsat addendum?  am i asking for too much?
I sent two addendums and I don't think it has hurt me.  Just say what you have to say.  It can't hurt.

cyberrev

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 01:36:23 PM »
i had 4 at some places.

tobias

• AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 02:45:01 PM »
I had two also - I wouldn't worry about it.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 07:40:48 PM »
Basically, you should be sending as many addendums as necessary if they will help your cause.  In my case, I sent 3 addendums:

1) Diversity Statement (3/4 page)
2) Resume (even if they didn't ask for it) (1 page)
3) Request to wait for/consider my 2nd LSAT score (4 sentences)

For you, if you don't include the better LSAT score addendum, they will automatically average your score for consideration.  If you do add an addendum, at least there's a CHANCE they'll throw your old score out the window (or at least give it less weight).  Even if they don't officially give your new score more weight, it will be in the back of their minds (assuming you actually have a good reason--i.e...NOT nerves!).

My advice is just to keep these addendums sincere, short, and to the point--maybe a paragraph each.  I think if you say too much about one subject they're just going to think you're making excuses. I think this can take away from the strength of your application if you present them with too much additional information reminding them that you have a low GPA/LSAT. 

And PS: these are my opinions of how I think people naturally think/feel and it obviously will just depend on the committee member!

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 08:40:05 PM »
Submit whatever you need to.  Follow page limits, though. 

I submitted:

Personal statement
Diversity statement
Addendum on history of standardized tests being a poor predictor of blah blah blah
Leave of absence addendum

rhythmbomb

• ON WISCONSIN!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 03:19:52 AM »
I had several addenda I sent out depending on the application. The way some apps were structured made it necessary.  I had a personal statement, a diversity statement, a resume, and different addenda for lapses in my academic record, traffic tickets, GPA, and one showing the numerous undergrad schools I went to.  Try to be brief but use them to help clear up ambiguities.