Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan waitlist  (Read 15822 times)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Michigan waitlist
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2006, 12:50:43 PM »
Yeah, I got just over 10K a year too.  

Maybe the better measure is how much unmet need we have (after expected family contribution, after applying loans and need-based aid, before applying merit-based aid.)  I was left with about 10K in unmet need.  Not too bad (until you consider that the EFC is laughable -- I barely have two pennies to rub together, and I'm Old so they weren't counting on a parental contribution.)
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2006, 02:19:51 PM »
angelina, thanks!!!!! :)

both of you: the 10K in need-based aid you are talking about, are you saying that is not a loan but is actually free money?
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2006, 02:20:47 PM »
yuppers, duckers!

reason #9876 why we love Michigan!

bachismo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2006, 02:38:22 PM »
I got this email this morning.  Anyone want to take a guess what my chances are.  Anyone have any idea how many people remain on the waitlist or how many people need to withdraw from Michigan before they dip into the wl

I am writing to update you regarding our waitlist process.  We have now
released almost all participants--but you are one of the very few
people
who remain.  Your status as an active waitlist participant reflects a
combination of the degree to which we'd like to be able to admit you
and
the strong interest you have expressed in being considered.

Right now, however, we have no space in the entering class and have no
immediate plans to make any additional offers. This process, however,
is
full of uncertainty; a number of our peer schools are still admitting
heavily from their waitlist, and we therefore think it possible that at
some point in the future, we will need to do so as well.  If you are
willing to continue to be considered under those circumstances, we are
grateful.  If not, we will understand completely, and simply ask that
you
let us know that at your earliest convenience.  If we do not hear from
you
asking to be removed from consideration, we will continue to keep you
on
the waitlist until registration concludes (August 30).  If we are able
to
admit you, we will call or email you; if we are unable to admit you, we
will send you a letter following registration to formally inform you of
that.

Let me reiterate how much we appreciate your participation in this
process
over the last few months; we know how much the waiting list tests the
patience of the participants, not to mention families and friends. 
Thank
you.

doublec

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »
If you REALLY want Michigan I suggest asking if you can defer. I did and got an offer within 12 hours of my request. It seems a few people have asked for and gotten deferrals from Zearfoss.

I can attest to this. I did the same thing, asked to defer off of the waitlist, and tho it took them two months to grant my request, they did it and now I'm starting next summer! I think asking to defer from the waitlist pretty much always works eventually because if you are already on the waitlist it means they want you in there but just don't have the room this year, so putting you into next year makes sense. good luck to all who are still waiting!! it CAN happen, me getting in with my low numbers proves it.
/quote]

Do you guys know if any other schools allow people to defer off the waitlist.  This is the first I have heard of this.

KillMeNow

• My dream girl...so hot, let's keep the lights on
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2006, 03:29:49 PM »
To my knowledge, Michigan is the only school that does this. I believe you can only defer to the summer option. 
"Did y'all hear that?  We're usin' code names."

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
I got this email this morning.  Anyone want to take a guess what my chances are.  Anyone have any idea how many people remain on the waitlist or how many people need to withdraw from Michigan before they dip into the wl

That all sounds right in line with what they'd said on the website.  Congratulations on making another cut! (although I understand it's sort of a bitter prize.) 

I can't offer any substantive guess as to how many remain or # of offers they'll make, but I remember reading that by the time they get to this point, the pool is quite small and the entire UMich admissions staff knows the waitlisted applicants off the top of their heads.  Also, I noticed that all of the orientation materials emphasize the importance of registering on time, since if we fail to do so they'll assume we've changed our minds and give our spots away. 

Here's hoping!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2006, 04:00:01 PM »

both of you: the 10K in need-based aid you are talking about, are you saying that is not a loan but is actually free money?

Yes for me also, but it's not no-strings, jsyk--there's actually a note somewhere in the financial aid award letter that basically says you're expected to donate a commensurate amount of money to the school later even though you are not legally obligated to--they look on it as a moral obligation to pass it on, so to speak.
Michigan Law Class of 2009

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »

Yes for me also, but it's not no-strings, jsyk--there's actually a note somewhere in the financial aid award letter that basically says you're expected to donate a commensurate amount of money to the school later even though you are not legally obligated to--they look on it as a moral obligation to pass it on, so to speak.

Ah, that makes sense. That is still a great deal tho! Much better than having to take out another loan. :)
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Angelina1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »

That all sounds right in line with what they'd said on the website.  Congratulations on making another cut! (although I understand it's sort of a bitter prize.) 

I can't offer any substantive guess as to how many remain or # of offers they'll make, but I remember reading that by the time they get to this point, the pool is quite small and the entire UMich admissions staff knows the waitlisted applicants off the top of their heads.  Also, I noticed that all of the orientation materials emphasize the importance of registering on time, since if we fail to do so they'll assume we've changed our minds and give our spots away. 

Here's hoping!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Agreed to all. I also think that if you DO hang in there literally to the bitter end--which would certainly be stressful and a huge pain in the a$$--the chances of it paying of are good. As few people as there are left on the waitlist now, it's quite probable that by registration day there would be literally only 2 or 3 people left, and so any spot that did open up would go to one of only a few people. And, given the ridiculous number of waitlist admits this cycle, your chances are probably better than usual to have last-minute changes in the T14 as HYS finalize their plans and it filters down...
Michigan Law Class of 2009