Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke, anyone?  (Read 15052 times)

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Duke, anyone?
« on: March 03, 2006, 04:13:51 AM »
Getting pretty late in the admissions process and I haven't heard back from Duke (got deferred in late December but since then haven't heard anything.)  Is now a time to start worrying, or are they just really slow?

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
Re: Duke, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:55:24 AM »
Getting pretty late in the admissions process and I haven't heard back from Duke (got deferred in late December but since then haven't heard anything.)  Is now a time to start worrying, or are they just really slow?

I think Duke has all but shut down.  There have not been any decisions listed on LSN since the first of March, and it looks like they're holding off on giving rejection and waitlist decisions for a while.  I hear the new dean is from USC and that seems to be the pattern that school followed last year (acceptances only until a certain date and then rejections/waitlists thereafter)... which doesn't make me too optimistic.   Then again, just looking at the LSN numbers for that school gives me a headache and a complex  >:(

They did, however, tell me yesterday when I called that decisions would be made by the end of April on almost all applications.    You know, right after our seat deposits are due at all of the schools we've already heard from  ;)

(needless to say, I share your frustration with this process)
i like complicated :)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »
They did, however, tell me yesterday when I called that decisions would be made by the end of April on almost all applications.    You know, right after our seat deposits are due at all of the schools we've already heard from  ;)

That's pretty cheap and crappy of them... if I don't hear from them until after the first seat deposits are due, it'd take a lot of $$$$ to convince me to come which is very unlikely to happen considering it took them until April to decide on me in the first place. Grrr
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

wclegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 01:17:44 PM »

That's pretty cheap and crappy of them... if I don't hear from them until after the first seat deposits are due, it'd take a lot of $$$$ to convince me to come which is very unlikely to happen considering it took them until April to decide on me in the first place. Grrr

It's also terrible coordination with their one and only admitted students weekend, which occurs March 24-25.  You'd think that they would want to, you know, give admitted students a chance to attend this?  And if last week's insight that they've admitted only a little more than half of the numbers they plan on admitting (and high numbers at that), the vast majority of those who end up having duke as their #1 or #2 choice will not even have the privilege of attending this weekend.  Well, I guess they figure they don't need to convince the already convinced.  I suppose for them the admitted students weekend is a "hail mary" to those who currently have harvard and yale as their #1 choice.  makes sense, right?

i'm only worked up about this because duke is my #1 choice, and of course they are the ones to dally about. 

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 02:00:30 PM »
Duke used to be my number 1 choice...

Over the past few months of this whole process, I've gotten the impression that they are rather cold and impersonal...
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

Jaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »
How about this for added drama.  If you accept ND's offer of admission, you are required to withdraw all other applications along with your seat deposit.  Therefore, for people that are considering ND, myself included, schools like Duke are now officially on the clock.  Waiting until late April is out of the question.
God, Country, Notre Dame

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Duke used to be my number 1 choice...

Over the past few months of this whole process, I've gotten the impression that they are rather cold and impersonal...

Maybe it is because I received my acceptance quite early, but I have had a positive experience with Duke. Recently, I called Dean Hoye to discuss something. The conversation definitely had a friendly positive vibe.
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

reynolda

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fashunista4ward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
How about this for added drama.  If you accept ND's offer of admission, you are required to withdraw all other applications along with your seat deposit.  Therefore, for people that are considering ND, myself included, schools like Duke are now officially on the clock.  Waiting until late April is out of the question.

Huh.  I'm overseas and all of my stuff is being sent to my parents back in the states... they failed to mention that little clause in ND's acceptance packet.  That's really problematic for me too.  I like ND and its nice cash offer a lot... but not at the expense of a shot at a school like Duke or Penn or the other 4 I'm still waiting on.    
i like complicated :)

what?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »
Maybe it is becuase I received my acceptance quite early...

I think that's it.  

Frankly, they lollygagged all through the EA process and deferred pretty much everyone who wasn't an autoadmit; I'd like to know, if they can't be done by this month like most of their competitors, what work have they been doing for the last four months, exactly?  Ordering microfiber lens cleaners?

However, I'm beginning to suspect that the system that someone posted in another thread on Duke is the way they work: admit people with high numbers who apply after the deadline or too late to get into better schools, so they are forced to come to Duke; make the people with median numbers wait; and fill the rest of the class out with those poor saps who were willing to wait.  This seems especially compelling when you note that last year, the only admits on LSN after March 1 were URM or applied late with really high numbers, and most people who should have been in the middle of their class were waitlisted after that point.  It would also explain why their quartile spread is so wide (isn't it something like 75% 169, 25% 162?).
166/3.8

wclegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
Maybe it is becuase I received my acceptance quite early...

I think that's it.  

Frankly, they lollygagged all through the EA process and deferred pretty much everyone who wasn't an autoadmit; I'd like to know, if they can't be done by this month like most of their competitors, what work have they been doing for the last four months, exactly?  Ordering microfiber lens cleaners?

However, I'm beginning to suspect that the system that someone posted in another thread on Duke is the way they work: admit people with high numbers who apply after the deadline or too late to get into better schools, so they are forced to come to Duke; make the people with median numbers wait; and fill the rest of the class out with those poor saps who were willing to wait.  This seems especially compelling when you note that last year, the only admits on LSN after March 1 were URM or applied late with really high numbers, and most people who should have been in the middle of their class were waitlisted after that point.  It would also explain why their quartile spread is so wide (isn't it something like 75% 169, 25% 162?).

Difference is that last year, they filled out their median and below-median numbers nicely during the EA cycle.  I think when they noticed that the "admitting sky-high numbers who apply too late to get into better schools" worked some last year, they decided to take it to the hilt this year.  That's why we saw a serious change in their EA pattern this year (insanely risk-averse). 

So the question remains...when will they start admitting future Duke Law students?