Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vandy vs. WashU vs. Colorado  (Read 624 times)

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Vandy vs. WashU vs. Colorado
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:56:47 AM »
Hey everybody, new poster, trying to make up my mind about where to go.  Right now I still haven't heard from Duke or Michigan, but other than those I've narrowed it down to three and was wondering about an opinion.  Notes:

-From Memphis, TN, but have no desire to stay in Tennessee to practice law.  Would much prefer somewhere out west.
-171 LSAT, so I'm probably overqualified for all three.
-$26,000 scholarship from WUSTL, guaranteed for all three years.  $15,000 first-year scholarship from CU, with possibilities of second- and third-year scholarships and likelihood that I will qualify for in-state tuition after year 1.  No scholarship offer (yet) from Vandy.
-Don't really have any interest in specializing.  If I do specialize, it would probably be in environmental law.
-Visited all three.  Of the three, I was most impressed with WashU's facilities, followed by Vandy and then CU -- but CU has the promise of a brand-new law building, so the law building I saw won't be where I would be taking classes.  I liked the area around Boulder the best, followed by Vandy and then WashU.
-Vandy and WashU are about the same distance from home, but I can't decide if that's a good thing or not.  CU is much farther.

Right now I'm leaning toward CU but would like some thoughts.  My undergrad advisor, BTW, wants me to attend Alabama, which offered me a full ride and of which he just happens to be an alum.

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Vandy vs. WashU vs. Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 01:46:10 AM »
Really?  Worried about it because I haven't heard anything from either one, except the obligatory "we're still considering your application."  Also, I don't think my undergrad school is looked upon very highly to be honest, particularly outside the South (note the somewhat odd rejection from BC... what's up with that?)

And, actually, my undergrad advisor got a bachelor's and Ph.D. from Alabama but didn't go to law school there.  The pre-law advisor at my school went to law school at Memphis and worked for the FBI for a number of years... his position is basically like a retirement thing.

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 01:57:16 AM »
Yeah, I personally would choose Duke over Michigan as well, though even if I don't get into either one Vandy is a fine law school, so it's not like I'm lacking for options.  I go to a very small, Methodist-affiliated, liberal arts college that virtually no one outside of Tennessee has heard of, though... however, it's also not noted for grade inflation.  But one of the admissions officers at Vandy speculated that I might have gotten rejected from BC simply because they knew absolutely nothing about my undergrad school.  Either way, I'm not worried about the decisions from Duke or Michigan, but I certainly would love to go to Duke.  It just seems like I had almost ruled it out in my mind at this point.

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 02:09:11 AM »
Yeah... essentially the admissions officer at Vandy told me that BC probably rejected me simply because they almost assumed that I would get in at Vandy, and since I'm from Tennessee they probably assumed that I would ultimately choose Vandy.  As far as I can tell, though, my undergrad school hasn't been an issue anywhere.

I also probably screwed up as far as Duke is concerned by not listing my parents' info on my FAFSA.  Is there any way I can fix that?  (I already sent the FAFSA.)  I doubt I would qualify for any need-based aid if it's based on my parents' info but would I need it on the FAFSA to qualify for any private loans?

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 02:20:08 AM »
Not so much worried about the admissions decision, more on coming up with the money if I actually do get in. :) My parents made somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K last year (fluke year, really; Dad got a big bonus check but normally makes a lot less than that) so need-based aid would not be coming my way.

Edit: Oops, I didn't even realize that Duke's priority deadline hasn't passed, so I'm still good.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:27:17 AM »
I agree that you will get into Duke and prolly Mich.

But, if by some fluke you do not, I vote for NashVegas unles you are sure you want to stay in CO.  A Vandy degree will travel well out west!

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 02:29:47 AM »
Thanks... yeah, I loved Vandy, just not sure I want family all up on me all the time (half my Dad's family lives in NashVegas.)  BTW, love your profile... my mom is an AOPi.  You might have even heard of Lambuth, too...

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 02:33:45 AM »
Thanks... yeah, I loved Vandy, just not sure I want family all up on me all the time (half my Dad's family lives in NashVegas.)  BTW, love your profile... my mom is an AOPi.  You might have even heard of Lambuth, too...

Ha ha thanks...I have heard of Lambuth, I have even been to a basketball game there I think...Go Eagles (or hawks?  can't remember) 

Best of luck, I am sure you will have some great choices!

tcs5384

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 02:38:02 AM »
Um... why?!?!  LOL... it's not a bad school though, just not many people outside of west Tennessee have even heard of it.  And yeah, we are the Eagles.  My experience at Lambuth, which I went to because of a scholarship when I could have gone somewhere else, is probably why I'm hesitant to base my law school decision on a scholarship.

I'm not sure why I had ruled out Duke... probably because it's been four months since I applied and haven't gotten a decision yet.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 02:41:41 AM »
Um... why?!?!  LOL... it's not a bad school though, just not many people outside of west Tennessee have even heard of it.  And yeah, we are the Eagles.  My experience at Lambuth, which I went to because of a scholarship when I could have gone somewhere else, is probably why I'm hesitant to base my law school decision on a scholarship.

I'm not sure why I had ruled out Duke... probably because it's been four months since I applied and haven't gotten a decision yet.

Just do me a favor and tell Bama when you are withdrawing to give your space to me, I will gladly take it!

Others on this board have said that Duke is notorious for being slow...I wouldn't give up hope just yet ;)