Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me pick a tattoo  (Read 878 times)

redemption

Re: Help me pick a tattoo
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 03:16:18 PM »
 :D :D

<------ no words

redemption

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 03:20:13 PM »
Well your career is in service to your life, not vice versa. I wouldn't let a hypothettical law firm picnic stop you if you want it that badly.

magnumalv

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »

magnumalv

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 08:59:07 AM »

magnumalv

redemption

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 04:40:02 PM »
I want to know what Maggs said.  >:(

And Red, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Your career may be in service of your life, but the utility you gain from getting the tatoo may be far less valuable than the utility you lose by the potential losses in your career. I'm having trouble articulating this, but I think what I'm trying to say is that you can't just look at those two events in isolation. Its not a question of doing what you enjoy versus "being that guy with the tatoo". There are many further ramifications of "being that guy", which result in addition to the initial loss of prestige Goodfella mentioned. Those downside effects may not outweigh the benefit of getting a tattoo. That will vary by individual and depend on what value a person places on each.

Sure. It depends on a number of things.

I myself think that tattoos on people other than pacific islanders look tacky, so it's not an issue for me, either way.

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
The design you have chosen does look unique.  My only advice about getting a tattoo (I have two that I got a couple of years ago while in college-won't be getting anymore) is to get them in places that can be concealed if the setting calls for it,  i luckily did think about this when I got mine.  I know people who went and got tattoos on their necks- I personally think that is crazy.

Also get something YOU want- which you obviously are doing- and that you won't mind seeing for the rest of your life (barring the fact you get it removed which leaves a scar).  That way when you look at it years later you won't be wondering "what in the world was I thinking". 

Also make sure that you see the tattoo artist's work (on an actual person) before you start letting them write on you.  I have seen people come back with some horrible body art that they had to go to a real professional to get doctored on.

Good Luck
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.