Law School Discussion

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Admitted Students Weekends: Roll-Call and Meet-up!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
1) First weekend

2) Tell you later

3) Everyone but Yale for obvious reasons  ;)

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 07:48:55 PM »
1. Visted the law school March 3 due to schedualing conflict wasn't able to get to admit students weekend.  Was fairly empty due to spring break, but the law school was quit impressive.  Also visted Wisconsin and Notre Dame and Michigan law school put them to shame.  Although Note Dame's campus is very nice the law school is smallish.  Madison was a disapointment in general.

2.Michigan is frontrunner

3.Waiting to hear from Virginia, Berkeley, Harvard.  Minnesota also somewhere in the mix due to $$$.

Could you elaborate please? I know it is no Michigan, but how was it a disapointment?

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 07:54:17 PM »
1)I'm going the second weekend.
2)Very strong contender. I'm also considering Northwestern
3)I'm waiting to hear from NYU (but I'm not holding my breath.)

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 08:01:07 PM »
I'll PM my email to anyone interested in moderating.  The agenda is on the admitted students' site, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a meeting.  Are all of us staying at the Bell Tower?

alexdn

• View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 08:38:06 PM »
1- neither, unfortunately, but i do think i'll be able to go to the alumni reception in boston in april
2- strong contender
3- at this point, the other contenders are NYU and Virginia.  i'm still waiting on harvard, stanford, etc., but i'm not expecting much in that department...

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 08:46:16 PM »
1. Second weekend
2. Strong contender (Final Four)
3. The usual suspects (Georgetown, NYU, Chicago, UVA, Cornell, etc.)

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 09:28:21 PM »
1. Second weekend
2. Strong contender
3. Only HLS and Columbia

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »
1. Second weekend
2. Strong contender (Final Four)
3. The usual suspects (Georgetown, NYU, Chicago, UVA, Cornell, etc.)

I heard a vicious rumor today that you've moved GULC ahead of Michigan in your preferences. 

Say it ain't so! 

Tell me you didn't! 

Why, Lily, why?!?

Intuition is just your brain being waaaay smarter than you. ;)

Seriously, though, I visited Georgetown this week and a) was impressed by the experimental curriculumn; b) really clicked with the experimental students, and c) walked around with my numbers twin who's now the editor of the Law Review.  I know it's an irrational thought, but I keep thinking that if she can beat the curve there, I stand a chance. 

That said, I'll see what Michigan and Chicago feel like.  And at the end of the day, I'm going to ignore all the pondering and just go to the school that gives me the most amount of money. Which will probably be Michigan, anyway. :)

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 10:22:37 PM »
1. 1st weekend.

2. Strong contender.

3. Mich is vying against Boalt right now, and I am still waiting on Stanford, UCLA, and USC.

Hope to meet some of you guys next weekend! How will we know each other? :)

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2006, 10:32:44 PM »
1. Visted the law school March 3 due to schedualing conflict wasn't able to get to admit students weekend.  Was fairly empty due to spring break, but the law school was quit impressive.  Also visted Wisconsin and Notre Dame and Michigan law school put them to shame.  Although Note Dame's campus is very nice the law school is smallish.  Madison was a disapointment in general.

Could you elaborate please? I know it is no Michigan, but how was it a disapointment?

The entire Madison campus is built on a fairly steep hill.  The law school is a bleak glass and steel building.  I was told to meet in the admissions room on the fourth floor, but as you go up the stairs the floors jump from 3-5.  It took a few second to realize that you must walk to the very back of the building to take a separate set of stairs to reach the fourth floor.  The building was generally difficult to get around in for how small it was.  When I toured the building I was disappointed, perhaps this was due to high expectations, but the building was dirty with what trash on the floor and pop stains on the walls of the moot court room.  The furniture was cheap and dilapidated.  The best part of the school was the library which was solid.  I was also not overly impressed with the students I met with who generally didn't seem too bright and were at times annoying.  My second stop was at Notre Dame which has a amazing campus, the basilica is beautiful and you can feel the history and tradition of the school.  Theirs tons of monuments and historical artifacts throughout the campus (Napoleon must have been a big Notre Dame fan as he gave the school tons of amazing gifts) In terms of entire campus alone I like Notre Dame over Wisconsin and even Michigan, but in terms of just the law school Michigan is by far the best.  Notre Dame's law school building was superior to Madison, and the renovation plans looked amazing, they plan on doubling the size of the law school and turning the old building into a law library.  The renovation is needed as the law building is small, especially the hallways which where extremely crowded.  Michigan is a huge law school, the reading room seemed about the same size as Wisconsin or Notre Dame entire law school buildings).  The class rooms at Michigan were also much more impressive than either Wisconsin or Note Dame in terms of space, style and furniture.