Law School Discussion

Re: Michigan Admitted Students Weekends: Roll-Call and Meet-up!
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:19 AM »
Vapid, thanks for your post as I think I understand what you were looking for in Ann Arbor much better.  If you are coming to Michigan (please do!) then where I think you'll find the people you were hoping to find is among the locals who live in Washtenaw county but not necessarily in Ann Arbor (or who live in Ann Arbor but not solely for the university).  At least that's what I think is the case, because it certainly is in Madison.  Getting involved in the community outside of the university was one of the best things I did in grad school and something I hope to keep doing in law school and I definitely think that people living in the Ann Arbor area for life will have similar outlooks on life to what you found in Vermont.  That's what my impression is from people I know who grew up there at least.  So while I think law school might not offer you what you were hoping, the community might still.  That's what I'm hoping because honestly law students as a general group sort of scare me for different reasons - uncritical acceptance of the status quo as expressed in law mostly (of course not all students are that way, those others students will be my intellectual friends I think).  Anyway, this is my plug for being involved in the truly local community, not just the university community.

« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2006, 09:28:14 AM »
Missourians(?)
*cheers*

« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2006, 03:39:30 PM »
Well I'm inching closer to choosing Michigan. I got no money from Northwestern! :(. Even as an independent they assume I somehow have 25K a year to pay for school. I barely make over 30K after taxes, where do they think I have 75K hiding?

If it's all loans at Michigan versus all loans at Northwestern, well Michigan is about 30K cheaper over three years. *blinks*

« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2006, 04:09:12 PM »
How long after submitting financial apps did you get an offer scoop?

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2006, 04:12:16 PM »
Well I'm inching closer to choosing Michigan. I got no money from Northwestern! :(. Even as an independent they assume I somehow have 25K a year to pay for school. I barely make over 30K after taxes, where do they think I have 75K hiding?

Five years in the future.

Remember, financial aid offices think like economists: they look at your earning potential over an extended period of time.  (Of course they appear to assume that you won't have children of your own, and as a result are creating an environment where women have to make the choice between receiving an education and having a family in their early twenties, but that's a rant for a different thread.)

« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2006, 04:28:25 PM »
Yeah I know Lilly, it's still scary to contemplate. I mean I know I could pay off those loans when I take them out, I just know the easiest way to pay off those loans. Putting soul on auction block.

And you're totally right, they don't seem to include children in their calculations. That is a rant for another thread.

How long after submitting financial apps did you get an offer scoop?

I submitted my docs Feb. 15th and I heard back via email today.

The Michigan people are driving me crazy with all the forms. So I send in all the tax returns I can find dating back to 2001 to prove I wasn't a dependent. Fine. They want 2000. I can't find my 2000 tax return (it's on a computer that's long gone). So I send a copy of my mother's tax return to prove she didn't claim me as a dependent. Fine. Then I get another email. They want my father's tax return. I tell them my dad was never my custodial parent since at least the early 1990s. No dice. They still want the form. So I call my dad, luckily he has his tax return, so he is faxing it in the morning. Hopefully they give me some money after all this hassle. If they do, they win! LOL

nekko

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »
Vapid Unicorn
  Not sure what I can say to you. A big thing the admissions try to do is focus on diversity and I think that's more or less part of the deal with Michigan. Also in terms of your specific preference, I'm not sure where you'd find that at any top law school. I mean you'd certainly find individuals with those attributes but as a whole I think top law schools in general are filled with people who generally aren't content with living a quiet life in some small community. After all if that was their focus they'd likely not pay the cost of a top law school since they could almost certainly get a full-ride some where else and the type of jobs for the quiet life in a small town aren't typically the kind of jobs that require a top law school education.

As to a lack of homogeneity I don't know enough students at other law schools to really be able to say. I know a lot of lawyers from different law schools and never really found Harvard grads had a particular feel v. Yale grads or whatever (although I did sort of get a feel from the Mich, Chicago, Northwestern attorneys...hmmm all midwest). On the one hand I concur that students at Michigan are all really different but I'm not sure you maintain that feel once you're in the school. You all talk about the same classes, professors, events, etc. that you certainly get the feel everyone is similar. Sure people went to different undergrads, some want to make tons of money, others to do public interest but even with all that there's a lot of commonality since you're all going through the same experience.

Thenextstep
  I understand having a problem with a rigid acceptance of the status quo of the law and why you would feel that many law students are that way but I think it's also important to understand the perspective of many law students.
A) Even if one disagrees with the law or how it's interpreted/applied it's critical to understand that it is interpreted in a particular way by the courts. Take for instance the Solomon amendment litigation. It's fine to question the law and make the arguments they did and say things should be interpreted a particular way. But it's also critical to understand and be clear in your head that it was a losing battle (in this case a unanimous loss) given the precedents.

B) I think it's important to understand that even if the status quo is flawed it's not necessarily the role of lawyers to fix it. It's kind of like when your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. Not every problem can be fixed by lawyers or even the law and what might seem like rigid acceptance of the status quo is instead just an understanding that the law, lawyers and the legal system have limitations.

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2006, 12:40:52 AM »
I thought I was the only one who's actually looking forward to moving to a college town in the midwest.  I've been in California all my life, and while it's beautiful and temperate, it's never felt like someplace I wanted to stay.  Aside from the professors I met, one of my favorite things during preview weekend was just walking around and noticing how livable everything seemed.  I got to talk to my cab driver about Pakistan the entire way from the Detroit airport, which never happens when I'm in New York.  During the student panel, someone mentioned that you could go out to bars in Ann Arbor in hiking boots and no one would blink, and that seemed to be almost a litmus test for whether people I met were leaning toward Michigan or someplace else, usually in a big city.  So while many people may choose Michigan without the location being a big draw, I think that there's a sizeable number of people who are looking forward to not being in a city on a coast.  Or maybe that's just me projecting . . ..
Regardless, I'm excited about the move and about getting to meet the people who also picked Michigan. 

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2006, 08:49:59 AM »
I'm psyched about living there for the next three years too!  I LOVED Kerrytown and only wish we could have afforded to live there (it's not that expensive but the space we need is more than many 2-bedroom places had due to our old piano that needs to come with us).  I get the feeling that Michigan feels like they need to convince big-city lovers that living in Ann Arbor won't be that bad because otherwise they'll lose lots of people to the two coasts.  Maybe they do it too well in a sense, I'm not sure. 

But I also think that if law school admit weekend are anything like grad school ones - it's always surprising who comes and doesn't come after the weekend, and people who were deadset on Michigan already are a bit less likely to come I'd imagine.  So maybe all the small town lovers were in hiding or not there because they already knew they were coming and couldn't make the trip.  That was certainly true for people entering my grad program in Madison... the visit weekend was mostly people trying to make a hard decision among good schools rather than a sampling of the people really coming.