Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: really stupid question  (Read 1106 times)

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
really stupid question
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
Sorry guys, I have never done this before....I filled out the FASFA and sent it to all of my schools already.  I already know that I won't be eligable for grant money because of what my parents make, so I didn't fill any other school-specific forms - just planned on taking everything I need out in loans with a few bucks here and there from the 'rents.  Only a few of the schools that I applied to asked for these other school-specific forms, and they were all about what my parents income is and stuff, so I asked someone in my school's fin. aid office what to do, and she said that in my situation that I didn't need to do them.  Is this right - just getting a bit nervous - basically if all I want is the stafford loan, and then maybe a private one to cover living expenses/whatever is left over, then all I need to fill out is the FAFSA right?

Thanks so much y'all!

talula8828

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: really stupid question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
The FAFSA is required for stafford loans so that's all you'll need for  that. Private loan applications will be separate but you won't have to do that until the summer! :) FWIW, it might not be a bad idea to fill everything out anyways.  law schools evaluate things differently than ugrad.  You might be surprised! ;)

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »
FWIW I'd fill them out too.  Never pass up even a miniscule chance for free/subsidized money.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:43:23 PM »
some form of scholoarship requires FAFSA. 

tsteadman

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 03:58:07 AM »
Kristen-

You should not be reporting anything about your parents on the FAFSA.  As a graduate/professional student you are an independent student...

Some schools require the Need Access...I don't know anything about it because I didn't apply to any schools that required it, but there are plenty of threads about it.

You should file a corrected FAFSA that removes any parental information.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 04:36:12 AM »
Kristen-

You should not be reporting anything about your parents on the FAFSA.  As a graduate/professional student you are an independent student...

Some schools require the Need Access...I don't know anything about it because I didn't apply to any schools that required it, but there are plenty of threads about it.

You should file a corrected FAFSA that removes any parental information.

No, I didn't put any of my parents info on the FASFA, but the few schools that had their own forms/need access/css were all about the 'rents tax info and combined salary, so I didn't fill those out...it was just those extra forms that I was wondering about, but since I won't be eligable for grants anyway, it seems all I need is the FASFA (and a very nice bank!)

cayberr

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 08:45:40 PM »
FWIW I'd fill them out too.  Never pass up even a miniscule chance for free/subsidized money.

Seconded.

Kristen, just fill out the other forms.  If you don't, you have zero chance.

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
If anyone's still reading this thread ...

1.  I disagree about filling out the other forms on the off chance you might get something despite affluent parents.  The other forms such as Need Access are a HUGE PAIN so the burden of doing them is substantial.  Plus it is VIRTUALLY CERTAIN you won't get anything if your parents are affluent; LSs give out little need money and they only give it to those with glaring need.  PLUS, if you are in the running for any merit money, it seems like a bad idea to submit forms showing affluent parents -- while merit money theoretically has nothing to do with need, I gotta believe it'll hurt you to show money in the family if you're hoping for a scholarship of ANY kind.

2.  Kirsten, it is NOT 100% true that if all you want is federal loans, you don't have to fill out any school forms.  Most only require the FAFSA to set up your loans, but Georgetown, for example, wants you to fill out their "yellow sheet" even if you only want loans.  Unfortunately, you have to check school-by-school.
Penn Law Class of '09

na56

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 03:50:40 PM »
Hey Rob where are you leaning to so far

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:04:51 PM »
Me?  Thanks for asking.  I'm an NYC guy so I'm hanging in for a Columbia or NYU admit and will hang in all summer on the WL if that's what it comes to.  If not those, then if Fordham put up a big scholarship I'd go there.

But none of those scenarios looks good at the moment, so it looks like Penn or GULC; whichever I like best after visiting.

I see my other admits as a big step down, and the schools where I'm pending (other than NYU) don't interest me as much as Penn/GULC.  So the picture is simplifying, very gradually.  Good luck to ya.
Penn Law Class of '09