Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visit to Willamette  (Read 1583 times)

jubilee27

• View Profile
Visit to Willamette
« on: March 02, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »
For all those who are interested, I made a visit to Willamette Tuesday. I was very impressed with the campus. It was beautiful, surrounded by trees, and literally across the street from the capitol and other state buildings. The town overall was very pretty and clean, as well.

As for the school, they really made me feel welcome. I attended a Property class, which was taught mostly by way of a powerpoint presentation. I was assured, however, that this was the exception and not the rule. One student mentioned that the school 'gets rid' of the students with lowest grades (I think it was under 1.9) at the end of the first year. She said this puts the pressure on first year students.

The facility was attractive and looked fairly new. I noticed that many students leave their books and belongings at their assigned library carousels while attending class. No one seemed to bother anyone else's stuff, either. A current 1L student took me to the Goudy Commons for lunch, which was quite tasty. Overall, I enjoyed the visit and am seriously considering attending the school. Any questions, let me know. I am sure I only skimmed the surface here.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Willamette
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »
What other schools are you considering?  Did the 1L give you anymore information related to job placements or that sort of thing?  I'm interested to know how successful they really are with government placements.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 02:02:53 PM »
Having lived in Portland for a while....think twice about Salem...its not a very happening place to live. Not a lot going on.   I've heard the same thing about dropping students...I, however, heard they drop the bottom 25%.   If you want to live in Oregon, look at Lewis and Clark.  Beautiful campus and wonderful programs in Environmental, International and Business law. 
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

snowbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 03:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the insight.
going to University of Washington (with some $) in the fall!

Wolfie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 06:48:06 PM »
Having lived in Portland for a while....think twice about Salem...its not a very happening place to live. Not a lot going on.   I've heard the same thing about dropping students...I, however, heard they drop the bottom 25%.   If you want to live in Oregon, look at Lewis and Clark.  Beautiful campus and wonderful programs in Environmental, International and Business law. 

I think the attrition rate is less than but close to 20%. That still seems high to me, but I'm not sure if it's because of the quality of students or harsh curve. I think the consensus here is to choose L&C given the choice, but then again, if you can get into L&C, you can pretty much get close to if not a full ride to Willamette, and Willamette do have some strenghts I think.

Jubilee, what did you think of Salem and the housing area surrounding the school?

jubilee27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 04:03:06 AM »
I thought the area was very nice and even the so-called 'bad parts' of town were mild by bigger city standards. I looked at several apartments and was happily surprised with the prices. One student I talked to said his place wasn't the prettiest, but he only pays $350 per month. On a student's salary, I think that's great. The places I looked at were 2 bedrooms, 900 to 1,000 sq. feet for the $650 range. Not too bad at all.

As for the excitement of city life, I don't really think a big city is necessary during law school (Unless your goal is to network with the big firms or party a lot). Everything one needs could be found in Salem, including Target, Fred Meyer, a few cute pubs, and a relatively decent mall.

Another bonus of the area is the low cost of living. For those of us on a budget, any school that allows a short commute and good housing prices is helpful. So again, depends on your goal. I want to do public service/government law, so the less debt I have at graduation, the better.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 09:52:36 AM »
A friend of mine had a house there several years ago for some rediculously low rent like $450.  It's really is a budget friendly city. I think as long as there is a decent pub (and you really can swing a dean cat in Oregon without hitting one) any law student would be happy.

cyberrev

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »

Another bonus of the area is the low cost of living. For those of us on a budget, any school that allows a short commute and good housing prices is helpful. So again, depends on your goal. I want to do public service/government law, so the less debt I have at graduation, the better.

hear, hear.  i just wish they'd make a decision.

SLCbearcat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 06:11:56 PM »
This is a warning from a current WU undergrad. (Going someplace else for law school.)

Salem is a dump, hands down the worst city in Oregon. Cheap, but sketchy as all get out. The bars are lame except for a few McMinnamin's, food options are limited, outdoor options are weak. Far away from skiing , climbing, and lots of petty crime. Serious meth and/or homeless, transient problem. Go to L & C, portland is much better. Don't be fooled by the pretty campus. I've put 20,000 miles a year on my car escape this place on the weekends.

snikrep

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 03:06:57 AM »
This is a warning from a current WU undergrad. (Going someplace else for law school.)

Salem is a dump, hands down the worst city in Oregon. Cheap, but sketchy as all get out. The bars are lame except for a few McMinnamin's, food options are limited, outdoor options are weak. Far away from skiing , climbing, and lots of petty crime. Serious meth and/or homeless, transient problem. Go to L & C, portland is much better. Don't be fooled by the pretty campus. I've put 20,000 miles a year on my car escape this place on the weekends.

Just to agree - the only place I ever go to have fun is Portland.  Salem is fine for living in if all you're going to do is study, but make sure you have a car to escape to the semi-big-city on those spring days when Oregon is drop-dead gorgeous.  There's not too many things that beat a nice relaxing stroll along the river in Portland when it's 70 degrees out.