Law School Discussion

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:18:25 AM »

snikrep

Re: Outsourcing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 08:55:49 AM »
Well I can say that talking with my dad about the outsourcing at his company, it's quite a painful experience.  The culture of India is completely different than here, and that translates into work.  He's been working with a worker in the US who was here temporarily for training (originally from India), and it sounds like over there they are trained to never acknowledge problems.  Things are so competitive, I guess asking for help is a sign of weakness.  But this is a big problem when he's new and just can't figure something out.  After working with him for a while he eventually began to change with some guidance, but there's a lot of wasted energy to work with the cultural divide.

I think the biggest thing will be the start of companies and the overall improvement of India's infrastructure - right now outsourcing is basically taking advantage of a severe difference in wages/COL between two countries, already that difference has shrunk considerably.

Just speaking from what my dad says at his fairly large company, about a year ago it looked like they would outsource EVERYONE, all the software work was sent over, and every other job was being encouraged to outsource.  I just talked with him and now they're hiring 30 new engineers just in his group, and while outsourcing continues, it's not quite the overwhelming focus it was before.

The only way to justify outsourcing is massive cost savings, when that is reduced to "some cost savings" nobody will even think of going that route.

snikrep

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:48:53 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/01/magazines/business2/costofoutsourceing/index.htm

Sort of related to engineering outsourcing, this seems to be a growing trend.

And I agree with you partially Lily, one of the main reasons I even started looking at patent law was hearing about the outsourcing from my dad.  It doesn't seem as bad as the initial reports were, but patent law is still looking like a better long term option.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:07:29 AM »
It seems like there is a debate in the conservative movement between those deemed protectionists/nationalists and those deemed pro-globalization/market oriented. The former are sometimes called paleoconservatives. Some conservatives argue against illegal immigration and outsourcing while others support it. It is an interesting topic.